D&D 5E If You Don't Have a Maneuver Ready..

the Jester

Legend
Ah! Then each class with expertise dice should have a suggested default Maneuver that players can call out if they can't think of anything. Or the DM can just allow.

I think this is the plan, with e.g. Deadly Strike being the simple/indecisive fighter base choice.

Grimmjow

First Post
i started playing "Play-by-post" a few months ago in the 4E world. As you can imagine initiative is a problem so heres how PbP handles it. DM roles for the monsters and gives them players the average. Whoever beats the average goes first, Then monsters, and then ALL the players go, and then monsters and it goes like until combat is over. I found that using this with normal rules speeds up the game. Not having to track initiative and giving players who are slower the chance to think about what they want to do! <----for your question

WhatGravitas

Explorer
What do you think about that? Am I too harsh?
Two things: First, what does your group think about that? Especially during the first couple of sessions, people need to learn the ropes - so give them some time to get the hang of it. Secondly, do you do the same with spells? They tend to be equally big time sinks.

eprieur

Explorer
I think it's the job of the system designers to provide a game that is not constantly bogged down. Consider the 2 following out of turns maneuver:

Parry and deflect missilles.

Let's say the dm is going to attack you with 5 goblins (in melee for parry, range for deflect). For parry:
-He roll 5 attacks dices then tell you you were hit at least once, do you parry? You can decide to parry, then yes, 4 dmg, reduced by parry.
-For the deflect missilles since it's going to increase your AC to that specific in theory the DM need to ask you for each attack in order if you want to dodge. Extreme play slowdown.

Personally I feel it's bad design and should be avoided.

Anyway to tie in with the OP, as long as the options in the game aren't that bad to use (parry) then you can give then some slack I think.

Remove ads