• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Illusions and line of effect

fagura

First Post
Do I need line of effect to cast an illusion (figment) spell?

I am standing next to a window and want to cast Silent Image outside. It seems to me by RAW I can not cast it although it feels like line of sight should be enough for a figment.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Do I need line of effect to cast an illusion (figment) spell?

I am standing next to a window and want to cast Silent Image outside. It seems to me by RAW I can not cast it although it feels like line of sight should be enough for a figment.

Let's see...

Pathfinder SRD said:
You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect.

However...

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell's line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell's line of effect

So, I guess for the purpose of designating a point of origin for your figment, you should be right unless the window is smaller than a foot.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This seems like a scenario where DM good sense should triumph: Of all the sorts of magic, illusions should be the least impacted by something like a glass window.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Unless the window has glass of course.

Yeah... I've run into a glass door before, too. You'd think I'd learn.

If glass is preventing the spell being cast, I agree that it seems you should be allowed, but as far as my (newly polished) rules knowledge goes, RAW you simply can't. I guess that the assumption is that the magical energy has material essence and dimension even before it is properly manifest, and not that your mind directly interacts with some point in space you can see.

Remove ads