• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm a bit stupid and want to provoke the Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
But 5E is so pretty. And it wants it. I know it wants it. And with my wife out of town... what else are we going to do?

Lancelot

Adventurer
When (not if) 5e arrives, I'll judge it on its own merits. If I like it, and I suspect I will, then I'll move to it.

I enjoyed BECMI D&D. Great game. I got many years of gaming pleasure out of it.

I enjoyed (some of) 2e. Was it a better game than BECMI? Not in my opinion. However, it was a change. I'd been playing BECMI D&D for 10 years, so the more story-driven approach of 2e... and the fantastic campaign worlds... was great.

I enjoyed 3e (and 3.5e). Fantastic version - it refreshed a massive amount of game mechanics that were starting to get stale. Fascinating amounts of detail and complexity in PC and monster design. Incredible flexibility.

I currently enjoy 4e. After 8 years of 3e, I desperately needed something to make the game more simple, streamlined, and balanced. I'm a huge fan of skill challenges, minions, and the broader "sweet spot" of play experience (previous versions worked best at PC levels 4-9, whereas I feel comfortable running any 4e game of levels 1-20).

...and I expect that I'll enjoy 5e when it comes out, too. It'll probably improve on some things that I find frustrating in 4e. But more importantly, it will provide a change. Life is too short to tattoo "1e [or 2e, or 3e or 4e] FOREVER!" on your shoulder.

8 years is the current average length of a marriage, in the real world. If you can get 5-8 years out of a gaming version, you're doing really well. And you've spent a whole lot less time and money than being married, as well. And... at the end of that particular version... you get to start flirting with a fresh, nubile new D&D version.

So... make mine: "D&D [all versions] FOREVER!"

Argyle King

Legend
I'm excited for 5E. I'd be pretty happy if the books came out tomorrow.

Why?

Well, while I am capable of enjoying 4E, and I have had many hours of fun with 4E, there are still a lot of areas in which it does not quite work the way I want it to. I also still find that it's built on different ideals than the ideals I have about gaming. As such, while I've experienced and enjoyed the product, I'm ready to move on.

A lot of the people who I've spoken to who are diehard 4E defenders have answered some of the criticisms I've had about 4E in previous posts by saying a lot of the concepts were new concepts; some bugs were inevitable due to how much change. I will buy that; however, if that is the case, I want to see the next step in the evolution. I want to see some of the concepts in a more refined form rather than going the 3rd Edition route and just piling more things on top of the areas of the foundation which were broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads