• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm Giving a Speech about D&D, please help.

Henry

Autoexreginated
-Mankind's love of telling stories goes back to early myths, and as formalized as Homer's Iliad.

-The game teaches teamwork, as most challenges cannot be overcome by a single player. In fact, challenges are balanced with the assumption of multiple players cooperating against them.

-Referees (Dungeon Masters) of the game, in preparing for campaigns, often delve into a wide variety of information such as geology, geography, history, literature, archaeology, riddle and puzzle solving skills, and even some arts and crafts, in the preparing of adventures, researching flavor material, and in painting miniatures or creating set-pieces for play use.

-there is a minor but noticeable improvement to basic math calculations and memorization techniques.

-roleplaying games of all sorts allow us to explore decisions and situations that would be unfeasible or impractical in real life. Examples of tackling political situations, tackling violent problems, throwing caution to the wind, or even being noble and heroic no matter what the cost.

I hope some of these give you some inspiration.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
My best and most general advice it to focus on the positives.

Don't bring up the witch hunts of the past unless you are directly asked specific questions about them, and then answer any questions completely but while downplaying their significance. You can remind people that D&D has never been linked to any crime in a meaningful fashion.

Jeph

Explorer
d20Dwarf said:
You can remind people that D&D has never been linked to any crime in a meaningful fashion.

Yeah, that's all been Vampire.

:D

Seriously. Can we know a bit more about this speech? For instance, who's the audience? Young or old? Gamers or non-gamers? (I'm assuming the latter . . . what about computer and video gamers?)

There's also the roleplaying=improv acting spiel.

Cedric

First Post
Henry hit the high points with some good advice.

You can also point out that it promotes creativity, imagination, social interaction in a cooperative manner, problem solving skills and an understanding of different cultural economic models.

The benefits are legion, but I suggest picking five and making your speech about those five.

A nice intro, summarizing your five points. The points themselves, then a summary.

Perhaps even using a narrative of a fun in game experience as the intro, but make sure if you do that it's entertaining to a non-gaming audience, which is kind of tough.

Also liken it's influences to popular media and fiction, especially now that LOTR is as big as it is.

Cedric

Angcuru

First Post
And it's a lot more fun than sitting down at a video game, where you just follow a pre-set plot which you cannot alter in any way. You can actually change the course of the game, and you can be as original or as basic as you like. The ultimate game really, well, next to life.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Also, to a limited degree, GMing can help with a lot a qualties that people associate with a leader:

planning (that's writing the adventure)
conducting meetings (running the session smoothyly)
social interaction (all players have their needs met)
public speaking (ok, this ones a little weaker)
making sound "snap" judgements (all those GM decisions that have to be fair)

Gaius

First Post
Be sure to cut your underwear ahead of time. That way it'll rip easier when the kids start giving you wedgies.

Gaius

Remove ads