I'm going to dismiss some players.

capnfro

First Post
Similar Issue

I had a similar problem a while ago. I decided to bite off a bit more than I could chew and tried to run an 8 person game. Not only was the scheduling of games a pain, since we all had real jobs and people lived in 3 different cities, but getting ready for games just stopped being fun. There was also so much downtime during the games because of people chatting and not paying attention that it just wasn't fun anymore.

I tried splitting the groups but it was still crazy trying to get games scheduled and some of the players were still being a distraction. There was one of the players who wanted to DM. We split the group and it worked out much better. I have since vowed never to run a game with over 6 players on a consistent basis ever again.

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
Ouch, thats, harsh... 8 players is bad for a DM to do, but whats worse, is a little while back, (a year actually) My friend Blade of Desecration was the only educated dm in our village (town; suburb) Which was a problem, since he was one of the 10 of us that wished to play.... 9 players+one dm=chaos

Eventually, this situation sorted itself out, players quit, or we just stopped calling some of them to arrange meeting, it definitly worked, and we ended up with the Him, me and two others group.

Now, Blade was DMed a bit more, but after the huge, crazy experiance with 9 players, he was a bit fed up. Now, me, him, and the two friends all DM in turns, but unfortunatly, we dont have enough players, we need 1 or 2 more, to make it a 5-6 person party/group.

This has been another broadcast of the GMF MGR+LoD insanity

Mr_GrinReaper said:
Ouch, thats, harsh... 8 players is bad for a DM to do, but whats worse, is a little while back, (a year actually) My friend Blade of Desecration was the only educated dm in our village (town; suburb) Which was a problem, since he was one of the 10 of us that wished to play.... 9 players+one dm=chaos

Eventually, this situation sorted itself out, players quit, or we just stopped calling some of them to arrange meeting, it definitly worked, and we ended up with the Him, me and two others group.

Now, Blade was DMed a bit more, but after the huge, crazy experiance with 9 players, he was a bit fed up. Now, me, him, and the two friends all DM in turns, but unfortunatly, we dont have enough players, we need 1 or 2 more, to make it a 5-6 person party/group.

This has been another broadcast of the GMF MGR+LoD insanity
Yeah, that was hell. I remember that I sent an umberhulk at you guys at first level and you killed it, and only lost two people. I think you guys just sat back and shot it with arrows for a half hour, and there were too many of you guys for it too chase down. That's when I realized we had to split the groups. By the way, we'll be getting more people soon, when other people's schedules settle down.

P.S. Uhh, I'm Blade of Desecration, you seem to keep alternation between Blade and Lord.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Nightcloak said:
Agreed.

Wolf handled this situation well with his group (If I remember correctly, he had to let two players go). Hopefully he'll swing in to explain it all...

*Poke* *Poke*

Ouch! Hey, that hurts! Next time, don't use a sharp stick.

Anyway, his issues seem a bit different than mine. I have had to let 3 players go most recently and about 2 years ago let 2 go and about 4 months ago let one go. I have handle it well (most recently) and horribly (2 years ago). I am a much better DM today in Nightcloak's leadership area of expertise than I was 6 months ago.

At any rate, my first 3E game was at a LGS. It was advertised heavily by the shop and through local word of mouth. I am pretty well known in the area and when I showed up the first night (mind you, I let the shop owner handle the logisitics and just figured a group of 4-8 would show), there were 17 players at the table. By the end of character generation, I was down to 12, but still too many. The shop owner insisted everybody gets to play (I should have walked then, but I was excited about the new edition and having my first regularly scheduled weekly game in about 8 years), so I was stuck. Some quite or relocated, but I was saddled with 8-12 players almost every week.

In addition, I only knew 2 of them personally (one was a colleague I invited and the other a guy I had DM'ed for back in the late 80's and early 90's) when we started, so I got the associated unexpected behaviors. I grew to hate that game. It should have been a great campaign, but with that many people at the table, it takes away from everyone's enjoyment... including mine. There were conflicting personalities, silliness, stupidity, competition, flirtation (the 2 above-mentioned players got married because of that game).

Now, if they are friends, it becomes more complicated. My SOP now (sad that I have to have one) is to explain the problem, frame it as a "you" (as DM) problem, not a "them" problem, find an alternative game for them to play in and show them you care about them (if you do) by keeping in touch and seeing how things are going occasionally.

BTW, my post-hiatus gaming is three sessions old, but they were good sessions. That is to say, not perfect sessions, but good. The first was like a first session with a new group, the second was slow because the party was testing the strengths and weaknesses of an obstacle most of the session (Font of Bones from NG's ToA) and had a new player, and the third was interesting... It was scheduled for my house, but my plumbing went haywire an hour before the session. In addition, there was road construction on the main route here and when my players arrived, we couldn't get to our second choice location due to the traffic jam. We went to a community center we have used before (and fortunately, I can usually get on short notice - connections) and had a blast. Unfortunately, one of my players argued with the party's treasure distribution methods at the end of the session and asked me to make a ruling on how they HAD TO divide treasure according to the RAW (or interpreted). I declined ro intervene and the fireworks started and lasted for 30 minutes as they argued how to divvy treasure (but that story is for another thread).

BTW, I have a letter in Dungeon's Prison Mail this month!

DM

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Blade of Desecration said:
Uhh, I'm Blade of Desecration, you seem to keep alternation between Blade and Lord.

Yeah well SOME of us keep accidentally callign your CotDS....not to name names or anything...*cough*Xen*cough*....

WHAT?

CHAOS EVOKER

Xen155

First Post
Well.. He may be Blade of Desecration now, but Chosen of the Dark Sun was one of the few people to make many of the switches. And CotDS is such a cool name... In fact...

@CotDS- Were you a member of the FR Boards Incarnation of the DMF?
Edit: Never Mind.
Chosen of the Dark Sun said:
In case you're still letting new people join (I'm guessing you are), I'd like to submit my very humble resume (not much of a resume actually).
Started D&D when I was 8, I'm now 13. I've been DMing for a year and a half now (I was a player in several previous campaigns), so obviously I'm relatively new to the gig. Currently I'm running two campaigns: one in my own creation world based off a story I've been writing for a while now, the other in the Forgotten Realms. I'm also starting another soon, and possibly one after that in Eberron (I like the magic-is-technology idea). Played most comp games, read most novels, and am obsessed with FR. I could use a place to get second opinions, since there are no other local DM's and I of course can't talk to the players. Drow, undead, and conspiracies are the best. Thanks.

Yours respectfully, Chosen of the Dark Sun (yeah Ceric!)

P.S.: Where are the instructions Xen115 gave for registering this thread, I can't seem to find them.

@CE- Its been so long (Half a year...) I dont even remember the people who made ALL of the switches.

@GMF- *Holds up large flask of Ale and says drunkenly* "I love you guys...." *hiccup*

ChaosEvoker

First Post
@Xen
[sblock]*swig* Ok ok...I got it...a bag...that you can pull animals out of....*hic*[/sblock]

yeah its been a while....feels great to know that some have survived both switches. It's a rough early history but I'm glad we finally found a good home.

capnfro

First Post
Aaarrgghhh!!!

I'm glad you guys have survived the rocky early history too. I am glad I found this. It has proved invaluable to me in my games.

That mushy stuff out of the way I kinda just need a place to rant a little as well as looking for a little backup/advice.

I have a player who seems to be kinda interested in this girl. Over SuperBowl weekend, since we were in her home town (we don't normally play there) she came and played with us for a little while. It was her first experience with D&D and all the rest of my players are fairly experienced. We've been gaming together for about 10 years now. I allowed her into the game with the understanding that it was a one shot type of deal for her and that my players would have to coach her through most of the stuff. It was a really last minute type of thing. (Actually kinda halfway through the marathon session but we won't go into that right now)

We are going back to play in this girl's home town again. My player who seems to have a slight crush on this woman (he's a bit of a player at times) has evidently invited her to play with us again. He has done this without consulting me. There are also a couple other players that would rather not play with her at this session for various personal reasons.

Ok... enough background junk. Bottom line is that I am not going to allow her to play at this session, mostly because my other players don't want her there. I also don't want to hand hold her through another session and am planning on starting some major overarching plot this session. I am having trouble finding a diplomatic way to tell my smitten player that his friend is not going to be able to play. Any thoughts? Am I way off base here?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Remove ads