• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I'm modding CBLoader to build 5e-compatible 4e-characters, anyone interested?

eriktheguy

First Post
We're allowed to discuss CBLoader here right? I read the rules and didn't see anything against discussing this stuff. I haven't posted any links or files. Are we allowed to post .part files for CBLoader?

Background
: I'm a DM and player who loves 4e and 5e. I run 5e but some of my players miss the powers/options of 4e. After several characters, they feel many 5e classes just do basic attacks. They miss powers. I want to give them that 4e feel, but I want to keep the flat advancement, low-hp monsters and easy encounter building of 5e.

Project: I am modding CBLoader part files to make 4e characters compatible with 5e. For example, changing the 1/2 level bonus into a proficiency bonus that scales from +2 to +6, applying it only to proficient skills, changing the HP formula, removing most 4e feats, etc. I am not aiming for perfect balance, just basic compatibility.

The expected result would be the ability to create 4e characters whose stats are balanced in the 5e ruleset. In theory these characters could make up an entire party, or be combined with regular 5e characters to form a party, without breaking everything. I don't intend to make this munchkin-proof. The result could probably be broken by min-maxers, but should be okay for casual play.

So, has anyone already done something like this? And is anyone interested in discussing how to go about this or sharing my results?

Initial work
I've already found it easy to modify some basic elements of the game. For example, I can modify the 1/2 level bonus to scale from 2-6 instead of 0-10 from levels 1 to 20. I can modify skills to use [ability + proficiency (if trained)] instead of [ability + 1/2 level + 5 (if trained)]. HPs and other items seem to be pretty easy to modify in the part files as well. I think I can build a fairly 5e-usable 4e character without too much work.

Plan I plan to use 4e powers and no 5e spells. I plan to use 5e feats and ability scores. I plan to make it work up to level 20. I plan to keep the 4e skills, and simply allow DMs to decide where they apply in a 5e game. I don't plan to do tool proficiencies. I plan to keep Fort/Ref/Will (but subtract 10). So if the player would have to make a 'strength save' they would just roll d20 and add their Fort defense.

Remove ads