Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary (now available)

Hi CRGreathouse mate! :)

CRGreathouse said:
So, when will we have the IH up on RPGNow?

Okay, do you mean when will we see the IH - Epic Bestiary - Volume One on RPGNow?

If so, I just had a weird email from them, which I don't fully understand. I emailed them back and I am now waiting for a reply. If all goes well (?) I think they take up to 24 hours looking over your product before its allowed on sale.

If you are asking when will the Immortals Handbook itself be ready. Work on that will restart in earnest tomorrow. Basically the portfolios chapter needs the most work, the others are 50-75% completed. I'd only be shooting myself in the foot talking about a release date, but I can no longer afford to 'muck about'. I need to get into a groove of finishing 2+ pages per day, and stop going back and reworking stuff over and over. The Immortals Handbook will also only have about half the art of the Bestiary, so that will help.

In my spare time I may try and get the 1.5 Bestiary sorted.

By the way CR, I need to send you a complimentary copy.

Hey Rulemaster and Alzrius! :D

RuleMaster said:
I can explain the star rating. In my bookshelf I've used the option of simply rating the product, although I haven't posted a review. I'm simply convinced of the quality of this book!

I appreciate the love dude! :)

Alzrius said:
Hm, maybe it's just me, but the copy I downloaded from the EN Gamestore didn't have bookmarks. Is that right, U_K?

Well I only sent one complimentary copy out to the people who purchased the unofficial release. But then I realised my mistake and added the bookmarks, then updated the product at ENWorld store, apparently that automatically sends out the updated copy. So the second copy you get should have the bookmarks I suppose.

Alzrius said:
Also, the alignment for the Maskim is still listed as being "always good (any)", when it should be "always lawful evil"

DOH! I'll set up a page for errata/addendums on my website (when it lets me update that is).

I have so far spotted one mistake: the Sadims sub-name is Greedy One in the Contents, but Gold-digger in the entry. It should be Greedy One.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
As a note, Alabaster is by far my favorite creature in the entire Bestiary (this volume, anyway). That said, although he presents a truly fearsome foe, he's still bound by the classic vampire weaknesses, such as being held at bay by garlic and holy symbols, death by sunlight, etc.

In order to make up for that, I recommend DM's using Alabaster add the Vampire Lord template to him and his thralls. Disregard the prerequisites; they're story-based, and don't fit with his history. They don't grant him too much more power (compared to what he already has), but they eliminate a lot of his vampiric weaknesses.

Sledge

First Post
Now that this is for sale it will be interesting to see how many people make use of it without any epic games. The sheer range of stuff in this pdf is great for DM's who want to build towards an epic game, even if they never get there.

Hey guys! :)

Brief news, I received a reply from RPGNow, the earlier problem was just a misunderstanding. But things may still take 24 hours before its available there.

Regarding my website, I still can't update, but I know what the problem is and have emailed the webspace provider. So hopefully I can get that sorted today.

Thanks for those links Fieari. Very nice work. I'll set up a page for you (or anyone else who creates things using the IH) on immortalshandbook.com (when I get the chance).

RuleMaster said:
I've downloaded it from ENWorld, but this copy had no bookmarks...

Thats weird. Has anyone who downloaded it from ENWorld got the bookmarked version as yet?

Alzrius said:
As a note, Alabaster is by far my favorite creature in the entire Bestiary (this volume, anyway). That said, although he presents a truly fearsome foe, he's still bound by the classic vampire weaknesses, such as being held at bay by garlic and holy symbols, death by sunlight, etc.

Alabaster was my favourite idea of the book (although the Grigori Bounty Hunter 'Ioun Eyes' is fairly cool), but in my opinion its the worst executed entry. It was the last to be finished, I may have rushed one or two things and the to be honest two pages is simply not enough room to do the combined Alabaster/Amidah creature justice. Especially when he has six major artifact swords, I could have filled double the space on the weapons alone.

Alzrius said:
In order to make up for that, I recommend DM's using Alabaster add the Vampire Lord template to him and his thralls. Disregard the prerequisites; they're story-based, and don't fit with his history. They don't grant him too much more power (compared to what he already has), but they eliminate a lot of his vampiric weaknesses.

I was initially thinking that Alabaster was so old that he would have control of any bloodlust (hence his neutral alignment), and could exist in daylight, and such. But I just didn't have the space to play with. :(

Sledge said:
Now that this is for sale it will be interesting to see how many people make use of it without any epic games. The sheer range of stuff in this pdf is great for DM's who want to build towards an epic game, even if they never get there.

Well at heart its an Epic Bestiary, so I suspect people will see that and either be interested or not, based solely on that. But I did add a lot of extra features in there that could be used at non-epic levels:

1. The new Size rules (for creatures of any size)
2. The new Density rules (and Virtual Size Categories)
3. The Universal Damage Table (with modifiers for disproportionate appendages)
4. The Glimpse at the Kosmos discussion, detailing the various dimensions.
5. The expanded Abomination creation rules (mostly epic I guess)
6. The discussion on Angels (including the Angelic Hierarchy, Armies, Secret Strike Teams etc.)
7. The discussion on Brood (hierarchies, rulers, armies etc.)
8. The discussion on Daemons (hierarchies, rulers, armies etc.)
9. The discussion on Demons (hierarchies, rulers, armies etc.)
10. The discussion on Devils (hierarchies, rulers, armies etc.)
11. The Dire Creature Template, and how to stack them. The Legendary Creature Template.
12. Rules on how to create your own dragons (both epic and non-epic).
13. Rules on how to create your own Golems.
14. New rules for different classes of Golem (from Guardian to Leviathan)

15. Also, because many of the monsters are multi-faceted, the book actually contains quite a few non-epic monsters (17 monsters of CR20 or under, with another 5 between CR 21-28, then another 44 of CR 30+). Then, on top of that you have the seven Dragons with Wyrmling CRs of 20, 26, 29, 29, 116, 128, 416.

So technically (counting each dragon as one entry), the book actually has 78 monsters, double the amount listed!

16. There are many non-epic Adventure ideas.
17. There are a few non-epic magic items, weapon special abilities and so forth (although most are epic).
18. There are quite a few new artifacts. Some of these could see use in non-epic campaigns.
19. There is a new material (Orichalcum), although I suppose thats almost certainly what you could call an epic-material.
20. You could say the art is non-epic...okay I was struggling with #20. :p

I'll be following a similar pattern with future products like the Immortals Handbook itself. Its Immortal rules at heart, but there are lots of elements like how to design your own religions, cults, churches, how many clerics, what levels are they type of stuff. Then you have the Disciple ('Chosen of') and Prophet ('Champion of') Templates which are non-epic. There are new domains, new spells too.

Hey all! :)

Okay I am just wondering, should I actually have the d20 logo on my cover?

I wouldn't update the pdf just for that, but I can update the pictures of the cover on ENWorld and my Shop Front.

Just in case there is any confusion over whether or not this is a d20 product or not.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and CRGreathouse did you get my email last night? If not you must have changed your email address. If so email me with your new one. ;)

The Serge

First Post
Upper Krust, it's about time. All I can say is:

SUPERB!!!!!

One of my moderators (Kain Darkwind) was kind enough to buy a copy of it for me and I'll be doing a review of the Immortals' Handbook for Dicefreaks. I want to encourage our members to buy it as I think it's a great bit of work. Some of the pictures (all done by yourself, yes?) are evocative!

Well done!

Last edited:

Remove ads