Improving a Dragon's DR

Thotas

First Post
Interesting. I hadn't realized that conjuration spells in 3.0 didn't generally overcome SR.

Oh, they do. 3.5 introduced a lot of conjuration spells that provided damage, though (the various "orb" spells in particular) and since they created the thing and then you nonmagically attacked with it, there was no SR -- while an evocation would create and apply in one operation, so the application was part of the spell so SR applied. It was seen by many as a cheap end run that was unfair and unbalanced. The wizard that I ran who had a orb spell in the spellbook didn't really run into any SR type opponents in her career, so it didn't make much difference in my experience, but others had some real problems with it from what I hear.

Empirate

First Post
The direct damage spells aren't even the big deal. A charging Barbarian can do more damage than your metamagicked orb spell, unless you concentrated your resources really hard on that as a Wizard.
But Glitterdust, Web, Grease, Stinking Cloud, to name low-level stuff, or their bigger Conjuration brothers Solid/Freezing/Acid Fog, Black Tentacles, Cloudkill, Wall of Stone, and of course Summon Monster X are a real pain in the ass. And most of these didn't allow SR in 3.0, either, if I recall rightly.

Remove ads