Level Up (A5E) Improving spells

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I don't know this system, but it sounds neat.

It makes me think what if there were a system where you combined various elements: demon magic with a pinch of transmutation and then rolled to see what was created. ;)

You should definitely look it up. Its made by Rob Schwalb, who's a frequent collaborator of WotC. For me, its everything that D&D should be in terms of mechanics in 2020. The only problem I have is the edginess to Rob himself: the implied setting is a mix of Diablo and Warhammer, with a good dose of gore, poop and genitalia related content. Its a little obnoxious sometime.

Rob will publish later this year a more family friendly version of the game called Shadow of the Weird Wizard, based on more classic fantasy tropes and old-school gygaxian themes.

Another good game that does themed magic traditions is Fantasy AGE, by Green Ronin. Great and simple fantasy system, worth a look.

You should definitely look it up. Its made by Rob Schwalb, who's a frequent collaborator of WotC. For me, its everything that D&D should be in terms of mechanics in 2020. The only problem I have is the edginess to Rob himself: the implied setting is a mix of Diablo and Warhammer, with a good dose of gore, poop and genitalia related content. Its a little obnoxious sometime.

Rob will publish later this year a more family friendly version of the game called Shadow of the Weird Wizard, based on more classic fantasy tropes and old-school gygaxian themes.

Another good game that does themed magic traditions is Fantasy AGE, by Green Ronin. Great and simple fantasy system, worth a look.
I'm so keen on Shadow of the Weird Wizard. I hope they don't change the core system too much.

G

Guest 6801328

See, I've always felt that genericizing spells in this way does a disservice to the game by removing a lot of flavor to magic and forcing people to make it up themselves. It's the same reason I preferred the old Ultimate Powers Book from TSR's Marvel game over the more modern effects-based systems like Mutants and Masterminds. Idiosyncrasies are replaced by unifying blandness.
That’s how I feel about the difference between attributes in 5e, with every class just keying everything off their primary attribute.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I personally have never been a fan of having class and level in the spell descriptions, I'm a big fan of tags. But that's largely cuz I like the idea of adding more classes and then it's always just awkward, tags work great cuz you can just say this class has access to these tags.

CapnZapp

Legend
I personally have never been a fan of having class and level in the spell descriptions, I'm a big fan of tags. But that's largely cuz I like the idea of adding more classes and then it's always just awkward, tags work great cuz you can just say this class has access to these tags.
Adding tags (arcane, primal, occult...) is a great idea.

Removing "Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3" from spells, as 5E did, remains a naughty word idea.

Remove ads