• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In AD&D, do you prefer being DM or player (most of the time)?

Treebore

First Post
I prefer DMing most fo the time, but I do like to get to play, something, in almost any game system. Any game system if I believe th GM is a good one.

Valiant said:
If I had to choose between one or the other I'd go with player (just barely). DMing is great in 1E, but I really enjoy seeing the world threw my character and reacting to it. That is with the assumption that I sat with a really good DM of course. ;)
Interesting question to me. Something I hadn't really thought about before. I'd say that for AD&D I favored being a player though I went for a long time without being one because I was happy to just be the DM for quite a while. For 3E I had less opportunity to be a player and thus more desire to be so I can't really accurately say which would be my preference.

I enjoy equally the time I spend playing and DMing regardless of edition, but I have seldom managed to do both at the same time or alternating with enough regularity. As a player I always jones for the opportunity to create and run my own campaign if I'm not doing so. As a DM I always jones for the not having to create and organize so much stuff, and to roll up and run all the character concepts I come up with over time. But, I'd have to say that push comes to shove I'd rather be a player in any edition.

The reason I can say that is that the world-creation buzz I can still mostly get at home on my own.

Remove ads