• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In-Character Racial and Cultural Insults

Nifft

Penguin Herder
We all know Dwarves and Elves have insulting names for each other. But what, specifically, are they?

Elf -> Dwarf: Rock-eater, stumpy, footstool, Dopey.

Dwarf -> Elf: Hippie, fruit, slim, ma'am.

In your games, what races, cultures and/or groups insult what other races, cultures and/or groups?

Thanks, -- N

Dragon Vindaloo

First Post
Insults would depend on the campaign world and style of game your group has. None of the ones you mentioned would ever be used in any game I play in (except maybe out of character). Hippy? Fruit? Are you posting from the late sixties? :D

I think elves would have very subtle insults for dwarves, if they even bothered to use them. As for dwarves they would perhaps come out with things like 'Oath breaker' 'Fools Gold' 'Beardless' or add 'ling' to the characters race ie: 'manling' etc in an attempt to belittle another race for its lack of lifespan/experience.

The dwarves might call elves 'flighty' 'fey born' 'untrustworthy' and tell them they are 'fanciful' 'dreamers' 'slow to act' and things like that. Maybe 'feather bones' and 'parchment skulls' etc.

I think in most settings the dwarves and elves respect each other mostly as its the orcs, goblins and men that irk them more than one another.

Kwitchit

First Post
Time for the Warhammer Dwarf Insults again!
Elgi: Elf, (of a building) flimsy
Umgi: Human, (of a building) shoddy
Goblins, fit for: Unspeakably bad
Goblins, not fit for: Even worse

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Of a dwarf: For him reaching new heights means seeing the top of the kitchen counter.

Of a halfling: Going decaf has given her the attention span of a gnat.

On elven epic poetry: Cut out the genealogy and you've got a couplet.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I had this idea recently for a story I'm planning in which a certain form of entertainment in a particular kingdom would be dwarf minstrel shows- human performers walking with shoes on their knees and wearing big beards and parodying dwarven behaviors.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Gnomes call all the bigger races 'Bignob' as in Wahoot ye bignobs dannae waan me noobin!

Dwarfs are called Rock-thumpers and Slag-dumpers
Orcs are called Porkers
Elfs are called Sissyboys and dandelions
Halflings are called Pest, Rodent and Halfpints

Kastil

Explorer
Nothing I remember off the top of my head but most of them are inuslts among human tribes and aren't based in the common tongue.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads