• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In Defense of the Theory of Dissociated Mechanics

Yesway Jose

First Post
Also, this doesn't have to do with dissociated mechanics, but resource usage. Resource mechanics can be daily and still be associated, as any player of previous editions of D&D can attest.
I admit it wasn't the best mechanical example, I was kinda rolling with a vague "spectacular crit" daily, and not intended as a 3e is the best vs 4e sux either.

I disagree that it's unrelated to disassociation. It's about disconnect between the mechanical 1xday limit vs the player's resource management of that limitation vs the optimal timing for that to occur in the narrative either from actor stance and/or author stance.

BryonD

Hero
I'm not going to play that game.

Please declare victory and pat yourself on the back. But I'm not here to prove past conversations existence to anyone, much less one specific naysayer.

The conversations happened over and over and anyone who has been paying attention to these boards knows it.

But, if you don't accept that, so be it. You win in your mind and the actual events remain unchanged.

And if we can't agree on that level of basic understanding, then no fun or productive conversation will follow.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I admit it wasn't the best mechanical example, I was kinda rolling with a vague "spectacular crit" daily, and not intended as a 3e is the best vs 4e sux either.

I disagree that it's unrelated to disassociation. It's about disconnect between the mechanical 1xday limit vs the player's resource management of that limitation vs the optimal timing for that to occur in the narrative either from actor stance and/or author stance.

But, a daily resource can be associated and still have this problem. How can it be related to dissociated mechanics?

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Because of the definition that the reasoning cannot be observed, explored, or learned by the character? I don't know even what we're talking about any more :)

We are collectively going 'round and 'round a central point, never quite getting agreement, or failing to understand each other, or something like that. But some of the peripheral stuff is sparking interesting discussion. So we keep doing it.

At least, being generally optimistic, if not an optimist, I choose to believe that is what is happening. :D

I'm not going to play that game.

Please declare victory and pat yourself on the back. But I'm not here to prove past conversations existence to anyone, much less one specific naysayer.

The conversations happened over and over and anyone who has been paying attention to these boards knows it.

I've been part of those conversations. And my memory of them is different to yours. My memory is that they focus on the tactical because that is what is different. This is also an understanding that isn't just about slanderous to anyone. Your memory is that they focus on the tactical because it is the only thing that matters - and you are imputing an extremely negative reason to people you disagree with (always dangerous).

Indeed the most recent conversation that you could have read that way I was the one who brought up what you might see as the tactical focus. The one involving shifty.

But, if you don't accept that, so be it. You win in your mind and the actual events remain unchanged.

And if we can't agree on that level of basic understanding, then no fun or productive conversation will follow.

Indeed. If you can not back your claims when you effectively slander roleplayers of a system you dislike then no productive conversation will follow. Strange, that.

Remove ads