• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In praise of the rules lawyer

Hussar

Legend
Generally, if it involves a PC death, we'll look it up and resolve it at that time. That's important enough to stop. Anything else, we keep on moving, no tag backs.

This is precisely how we play it as well. I had to actually make this explicit in a few groups who would question EVERY SINGLE THING. That's fine if I'm doing things wrong, but, I was actually being shown to be right far more often than not and it got really, really annoying.

So, I actually had to install a rule that, unless death was on the line, if the player challenged a ruling and was wrong, he lost all xp for that session. It was harsh, but, it did work rather well. The Rules Lawyers made bloody damn sure of what they were talking about before they started jumping on me.

Zal - what is this "World Tree" thing? Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting.

SSquirrel

Explorer
I tend to get to know any system I play pretty well. I tend to fall more into the rules expert, altho I will argue points if I know people to be wrong heh. I helped co-ST an old World of Darkness campaign back in the mid-90s and mostly helped w/broad strokes of the campaign, helping make mix tapes for sessions and covering rules. I was the only one at the table who knew the Mage rules very well, so whenever we had Mages in the group, he basically deferred to me. No I didn't always play a Mage asa result, but I did play one pretty frequently heh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads