In the Valus - The Heroes of Marchford (Chapter 14 Continues - 12/24/08)

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 5: To Marchford, To Llyndofare, Are those Dwem?

The return trip to Marchford was more uneventful than the preceding journey to Dun Beric. Not a soul was to be seen on the worn trail. And nature showed not a sign of weariness or apprehension unlike the temperaments of the humans in Dun Beric and Marchford. The summer birds continued to chirp and the soon-setting sun continued to shine despite the Heroes’ now foul mood.

Fitz, who almost always had a somewhat cheery disposition, did not raise his eyes from his boots as they tramped down the trail. His expression sang the truth of his emotion; still twisted in anger, in foul resentment.

Funeris’ face was slightly flushed. Less so from physical exertion, he was a well-built youth and had tramped around for the majority of his life, than from shame. He was a follower of Morduk but never would he have treated a follower of another church so disrespectfully. His presence on this journey deftly proved that fact. He traveled with a Druid, an atheistic Rornman, a good and kind priest of Ceria, and a wizard that believed, well, who knew what the wizard believed. Probably nothing.

But if followers of Morduk, the god of justice, could treat non-believers with such contempt and bitterness, what did that mean? That wasn’t justice. That was not fair. What was it that Funeris’ father was trying to teach him? Or maybe, Morduk would deliver the town of Dun Beric some justice. Maybe, Morduk already began to. Before Funeris could finish his thoughts, Motega stopped on a swale. He waited for the rest of the group to catch up before they hiked into Marchford.

The setting sun showed the lack of light in the majority of the buildings of Marchford. Only the keep and Oggut’s Inn echoed torchlight into the descending darkness. Perched on the stone walkways of the keep, guards could be seen patrolling and watching for any signs of attack. The Heroes headed toward the keep first, to relay what little information they had retrieved.

Their presence was made known by the yelling of guards and the drawing of bows, Motega’s hand twitched toward his short bow but he held for just a moment. That moment being long enough for the group to be recognized and the soldiers’ weapons to be lowered. More yelling could be held behind the walls of the keep, and the sound of creaking wood issued from the gates.

Heavy, wooden double doors creaked open, spilling torchlight through the iron portcullis. Standing behind, were several guards that surrounded Sir Eddam.

“What news?” the noble questioned. The lines began to deepen in Fitz’s face as he opened his mouth.

Magnus stepped in and said, “The Duke of Dun Beric says he cannot send any aide this way. He needs his men in case there is another attack. But he said to hold down the keep if you can. And send the women and children west to Dun Meggan.”

“I’ve done that,” Sir Eddam mumbled. His stark white hair seemed to have thinned in the past day. Or perhaps the torchlight and stress just seemed to make him age one hundred years in the course of a day. “And how does Dun Beric fare?”

Magnus again answered before anyone else, “None dead, thanks to yours truly,” and he motioned toward the group. “But several wounded and we could not offer much help. They were in the midst of repairs when we left.”

“Good, good. And what are your plans now?”

“We’re not sure. We haven’t decided yet.”

“Well, we could always use more hands, if you want to stay.”

“We’ll, uh, talk about it.” Magnus grinned his most charming, which isn’t to say much, smile. Then the party turned and headed toward the tavern.

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 5 Continued (sorry its short)

Oggut had just finished loading the last keg of his special brew onto a small horse-drawn trailer, when the party approached. The look of surprise on his countenance did nothing to improve his muddled half-orc features.

“Back so soon?” Oggut probed. Motega stepped forward and whispered into his over-sized ear.

“Eh. Stay here?? Fine by me, I’m just on my way out. Do me a favor, wouldya? Lock up when you leave.” Again Motega leaned in, this time dropping several coins into Oggut’s hand with the exchanged words.

Oggut’s look of surprise turned to one of happiness as he grabbed the barrel he had just placed on the back of the trailer. He then moved it back into the bar, the party following him in.

“Just remember to lock up.” He grunted as tapped the barrel and left it on the bar for consumption. Then he exited, leaving the party to their own devices. Motega immediately sat down and imbibed the ale.

After some quick and quiet conversation, shifts for watch were determined and the majority of the Heroes went to sleep. The humid, warm night remained silent and rapidly turned into morn. Following their usual morning preparations, the band set off toward Castle Llyndofare.

Hours into the march, Motega darted forward behind a group of shrubs. He crouched and withdrew his bow, nocking one arrow. The rest of the party followed his lead; withdrawing weapons and assuming a defensive position.

The lack of movement and silence of the party emphasized the robust noise of movement seventy feet ahead. Twigs snapped and armor shifted as seven pitch-black creatures struggled through the coarse brush. Motega stood, took aim and loosed his arrow.

Until that moment, the dwem had not noticed the Heroes of Marchford. But as the first arrow sailed not an inch over their heads, their attention was quickly drawn from their prior task. Three of the dark-dwarves drew crossbows and moved into better firing positions.

The remaining four hefted battle-axes at the ready and charged toward the Heroes. Calyx was however prepared for their approach. Whispering in the secret druidic language, she again commanded nature to restrain her foes. Branches and vines answered the call; snaking around the creatures and binding them to their spot. Only three of the dwem remained unchecked.

The three unbound dwem let loose with a volley of crossbow bolts. Several struck Motega as he moved into cover. Behind him, Funeris retaliated by firing back, scoring a nasty wound against the dwem. But the luck of the shot was for naught; within seconds several arrows caused the 6’2” man-child to collapse to the ground in a bloody heap.

Last edited:

Redyak

First Post
This is good, keep it up!

I can't think of a lot to comment about right now, but I figured you'd appreciate a friendly reply. :)

Funeris

First Post
Most certainly. Knowing that someone (aside from the Yeti and he doesn't count :) ) cares definitely inspires me to continue. I'll keep up the writing, if you keep up the reading.

Funeris

First Post
Now, now Motega. Of course you count. As a view anyway. And the more views I get, the better I feel about my writing and thus, the more I write.

Everyone else: Stay tuned for more cannibalistic fun!

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
So I See

I see Cannibals count, but not the Boom-Boom Mage. Would you all prefer the meat raw or cooked?

We will see who likes having the strength of Bulls running through him.

Actually Magnus is the whipping boy of the group, as you will tell if that d@mned Paladin would ever update his ledgers here. :lol:

I just bugged him about 10 minutes ago, gave him a guilt trip since I can't play tomorrow in a one-shot non-Valus related. So hopefully he sends something down range soon.

Bill the Yeti
aka Magnus (Boom-Boom hehe)

Funeris

First Post
Chapter Five Continued

As we can all see...I always update right after that boom boom yeti mage posts something here. So, enjoy this next part of the chapter...that will explain Fune's paladinhood a bit (which consequentially I only recently in game told them about).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funeris’ eyes peeled open. The entire world had gone gray. As he climbed to his feet, not a leaf stirred and not a sound was made. Reflexively, he reached for the final arrow that had pierced his throat, bringing the darkness.

But his hand just grasped empty air. His eyes darted toward his other wounds but there were none, just bloodstains on his body and armor. The soreness of an overly long journey still washed over his body, but no pain from his wounds echoed through his muscles.

As his worry about his wounds faded, another replaced the vacant spot in his mind. Where had his new friends gone?

Funeris was still in the proximity of the last battle. They should be nearby. But his searching revealed nothing. The vines and plant-life that had constrained the dwem still looked vivid and alive. He took a step toward it, but nothing moved. He couldn’t even see the dwem that were confined to that living prison.

Funeris sighed as he sat and pondered what he was going to do. Even the summer breeze seemed to have disappeared on this accursed day.

Magnus had watched that last nasty arrow pierce Funeris’ neck. Hell, the spurt of blood had nearly hit me, the mage thought. Motega had since maneuvered back into the dwem’s line of sight. Magnus wasn’t sure what was scarier, the fact that the dwem never seemed to run out of bolts or that Motega was roaring at the top of his lungs and firing back.

Magnus slinked along the ground, covered by Motega’s own body and gradually pulled up beside Funeris. Funeris’ eyes had rolled up into his head with only the whites showing. An ashen pale had fallen over his body and blood still flowed feely from the last wound.

“D@mn.” Magnus rummaged over the body. “I know he had it here somewhere.” A poorly aimed bolt flew above Magnus’ head and the young mage embraced the ground.

On the other side of the battle, Calyx and Fitz had teamed up against the other two dwem that had not been imprisoned in the writhing vines. But through either the quality of the armor of the delve durven or their own inexperience with battle, the little buggers managed to evade their attacks. And although both Calyx and Fitz were missing, the durven were not so ineffectual in battle.

If something miraculous did not happen soon, Fitz knew he’d be meeting his goddess this fine day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funeris had been sitting on an old, dirty stump for what had seemed an eternity. In his head, he was rationalizing the reasons he could not possibly be dead. At the top of that list, his now questionable beliefs in Morduk resided. Morduk could have had no reason to leave me in a hell as endless as this, he thought.

As he sat there, lost in thought, a sudden radiance, not unlike the parting of clouds on a stormy day, fell upon his countenance. He glanced upward, not having felt that warmth since before the last arrow had struck.

His eyes stopped their upward glance, upon a woman. Well, at first she looked like a woman. Until his eyes adjusted and took in her full form. Huge, feathered, white wings protruded from her back and stretched upward. Despite their size, the wings glowed of an intrinsic grace. Just as her eyes, crystal blue glowed of a beauty and strength he had never seen in the eyes of a mortal.

Golden locks of hair spurted from her head and fell upon her shoulders as water cascading down a fall. Her radiance seemed increased by her full plate mail that shined with its own inner light. And in her hands rested a great sword. The great sword was of a quality Funeris was sure he’d never see again.

“My lady,” he started as he dropped to his knees.

“Stand up, Tobias.” Her voice and manner were somehow familiar and radiant as her form. The warmth of her breath brought him as near to ecstasy as he had even been.

“You know me, my lady?” Funeris’ confusion grew a bit with the use of his real name.

“Yes I do, Tobias. And you really should use your real name. Your grandfather’s name is not appropriate for the life you will lead.”

“And what life is that, my lady?”

“You are to be one of my swords, Tobias.”

“But, I am a servant to Morduk. Am I to serve you both?” Funeris’ eyes darted to the ground as her radiant eyes turned for a moment to cold steel.

“You do not serve that…god.” Her voice sounded full of insult on the last word. “You were meant for more than their foolish games. You will help me purge this world of evil. You will be a beacon of truth, of light for the lost creatures trapped within those petty gods’ games.”

“How my lady?”

“If you have faith, dear Tobias,” her voice softened to its former sweet sensuality, “you will know. And I will be there to help you, as I have been for your entire life.”

It was only after that last statement, that Funeris noticed the bloodstains that covered her armor and weaponry. Even her perfect white feathers, covered with blood, still shone with purity.

“My lady?”

“You may call me Reddel my faithful Tobias. What is it?”

“Am I not dead then?”

“No, dear sweet boy. Prepare yourself, because you’re about to go back.”

Magnus grabbed the minor healing potion out of Funeris’ satchel.

“Did you have to hide it in that bag of yours?” he hissed as he popped the cork. The contents of the vial splashed into Funeris’ mouth, trickling down into the darkness of his throat. As Magnus watched, the neck wound quickly resealed, preventing the loss of any more blood. Funeris’ eyes flickered open as Magnus slid the great sword into the man-child’s hands.

But Tobias let the sword hit the ground again as he stood, grabbing an arrow from his quiver. The arrow was nocked and drawn before he was completely on his feet. Once standing, a quick step to the left of the howling Rorn gave him a clear line of sight of the durven that had nearly sent him to his death.

A split second later, Tobias returned the favor, an arrow between the durven’s crossed eyes, and another one in hand.

Last edited:

Funeris

First Post
I wonder if he posted to get another update again...hold on...checking email...yeah he wants me to post again...

And are you really a hero...if she told me I was going back anyway??

Remove ads