• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In the Valus - The Heroes of Marchford (Chapter 14 Continues - 12/24/08)

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 10: The Truth, The Promise and The Half-Fiend Concluded

Ok...for those of you suffering from tax-day, here's an update for you. The conclusion of this short chapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fitz. Magnus and Motega leave the Qwynna Pru chapel and stood in the road. The overwhelming greenery of Dun Moor had browned in the fury of the summer drought. Fitz’s eyes roamed up and down the street.

“Calyx could’ve done something about this,” the priest said. “I don’t understand their unrelenting hatred for the druids.” An audible sigh escaped his lips as he turned to walk toward the inn.

“How’d you get her to do it?” Magnus queried. Fitz shot the mage a reproachful glance. “I mean, we heard her screaming in the common room of the parish. Not that we could hear what she was saying,” he quickly added. “Her tone was indicative of non-compliance, however.” Magnus grinned broadly.

“Well, you know. I’m sure she has some goodness in her hear…” Motega cut the Cerian off with a wave of the hand.

“Every whore has her price,” the Rornman hissed. He turned back toward the church and spit. Then, Motega led the others into the inn.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunlight splashed through a half opened window shade onto an old oak table. Motes of dust swirled in the light, dancing as the door to Lady Erigal’s private chambers shut behind the last of the Heroes. The sunlight draped itself across the body of their slain friend, a shining robe of glory.

Lady Erigal sat upon a raised stool at the head of the table, applying a green poultice to Tobias’ brow. Her forest green robes dangled loosely toward the floor, skirting the unpolished wood and awakening the restless motes of dust. She didn’t bother to look up as they came in, concentrating on the task at hand. After the Heroes had taken seats upon chairs she had positioned, she removed the poultice from the table and moved it to her desk.

“I want you take note of what happens here, Master Fitz,” the priestess began. “I want you to behold the endless power of Qwynna Pru. And afterward, once you have seen the glory of the Lifegiver, we can discuss your conversion.” Fitz’s nose twitched.

“First, the decision to return is completely up to your friend. Qwynna Pru cannot force him to return, if he wants to stay in the afterlife. The choice is completely Tobias’ to make. Now, if he does want to return, Qwynna Pru will have a few rules for him to follow.”

“And what might those be?” The Rorn demanded.

“Well, they can only be told in front of the twice-born. Should he choose to return.” Erigal smiled. “Now, I need complete silence for this ritual. So, keep your questions to yourself.” Lady Erigal’s eyes closed as she assumed a cross-legged stance on the stool.

Minutes passed, marked only by the Lady’s quite rhythmic chanting and the Sun’s brightening rays through the window. Motega grew restless quickly but kept focused, if only to slaughter the priestess if she messed up.

Suddenly an explosion of green light filled the room, emanating from Lady Erigal. Her eyes twitched open; iris, pupil and white drowned in an overpowering, luminescent green sea. A palpable aura of divine energy appeared around her lithe body. The green tendrils of Qwynna Pru’s power snaking outward like rapidly growing vines. They arched momentarily toward the window bathing in sunlight before stretching back toward the table. Her robes shimmered and shifted into a beautiful emerald green as the tendrils clamped onto Tobias.

Motega’s knuckles turned white as he grasped the hilt of his sword. Magnus had also jolted backward with his hand fingering his crossbow. Fitz sat, clearly unimpressed with his arms folded across his chest.

The tendrils snaked across Tobias’ cold corpse then reflexively snapped into the air above. For only a split second they hung there quivering, before the tendrils flowed into the warrior’s open mouth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tobias’ head snapped backward and his world spun. Reddel’s form shivered, blurred. Suddenly the violation passed and his sight returned to what he had come to accept as normal. Splotches of green spattered here and there however ruining the silver hue of the light.

“What…what were we talking about?” Tobias’ hand massaged his temples to remove the remaining green splotches.

“Well chosen one, you had asked me the meaning of life.” Reddel smiled.

“And what was your response?” The angel laughed.

“We’re not supposed to know that, child. We are only meant to enforce good. You would do well to remember that. Maybe next time, you’ll keep to your role.”

Tobias grimaced as another searing green light nearly blinded him. He collapsed to his knees on the street they had been walking down. His hands plastered to the side of his head, he wailed in agony.

“That isn’t necessary child, don’t fight it.”

“What….what IS IT?!” Tobias screamed.

“Probably your friends trying to bring you back. They would’ve had to contact one of the imperfect beings to request your return. That is why there is so much pain.”

Tobias loosened his restraint and allowed the green searing light into his vision. He saw the face of a beautiful woman staring into his eyes. Her skin was a vibrant green, with flowers growing from the vines that substituted for hair.

“Your friends request you to return, angel-lover.” Disdain weighed heavily on every word. “There will be a price for your return though.” The goddess impatiently stared the paladin down.

“I don’t know.”

“That is not an acceptable answer mortal. Yes or No will do.” The goddess smirked.

“There is much more you could’ve done child,” Reddel chimed in. “Return if you think you can assist your friends. Just know, you won’t remember much of this, if any. Your questions will remain answered. But ours is not the place to question, just to do.”

Tobias turned back toward the Mistress of Mangroves.

Tobias’ body snapped upright as he convulsed in a coughing fit. Motega, Fitz and Magnus all stood at once and went to their ally. Lady Erigal moved from her stool to a high-back chair. She slumped down in the seat, the divine power having drained her energy.

Questions bombarded the twice-born warrior. His ears tried to adapt but just felt overwhelmed. He shook his head and pushed everyone back a step. Cautiously he swung his legs over the edge of the table and adjusted to the weight of his body.

Too quickly, he pushed off of the table and his legs, healing but partially atrophied, buckled underneath. His head slammed against the hardwood of the floor. Pain exploded in his skull as a small stream of blood trickled from his nose.

Motega stepped in to assist but Tobias pushed him away. The warrior let his head hang back, laughing through all the pain. More carefully, Tobias grabbed a hold of the table and pulled himself up until standing.

“Now, as you should know Tobias,” the Lady interrupted, “you owe a debt of gratitude to Qwynna Pru. This promise is to be fulfilled in the following ways: First, you are never to travel with the heather druids again.” She paused to assure her words were being memorized. “Second, in the event you come upon a town that is burning druids, you must stop and preach to the town about the treacheries of heathenism.”

“And lastly?” Tobias inquired to speed up his departure.

“Finally, there is a small task that you must undertake. North of this town many of our pilgrims have been attacked by a group of bandits.”

“Simple enough,” the warrior intoned.

“Don’t interrupt me. The bandits work with a,” she nearly shuddered, “half-fiend. This beast’s name is Uzukiel. He’ll be easy enough to spot with the large, curling ram horns that adorn his skull.

“Rumor has it that Uzukiel is making use of an abandoned abbey once used by a sect of Mordites. But the abbey has been empty for centuries. This abbey is built in a hollowed crevice on a mountain. You should find it easily enough as well.”

“Does this abbey have a name?” Magnus asked.

“Since the Mordites turned on their followers and slaughtered every last one of them, the monastery has been known as the Abbey of Sin.” Lady Erigal rested her chin upon her hand as she waited for their next question.

“Anything else I need to know about this Uzukiel?” Tobias already wore his battle-face.

“If you fail he enjoys torture. Oh and his favorite method of execution is disembowelment.” She stopped to relish the surprise on the mage’s face. “That is all. You may go now.” Then the priestess stood and ushered them out the door.

"I won’t ask you to go,” the warrior stated. “This is my task and I will undertake it alone.”

“Shut up,” Motega ordered. “We’re you’re friends. We’re going with you.”

Tobias patted the Rorn on the shoulder. “Good to see you, too. By the way, where is my gear?” Tobias’ eyes drifted toward the mage.

“Ahh, well,” Magnus stuttered. “I had to sell some of it.” Tobias’ face reddened. “To pay for your resurrection.” Magnus scurried quickly past the warrior and ahead of the Rorn.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I Did Not.....

I did not sell any of his gear, and I have the records to prove it.
Signed the Accountant.

We had acquired enough in Dwem / Scorpiot gear that Destan was able to pick our pockets.
This was after our initial Cave Drake battle, the Dragon like thing that came out of the well. The hide shield magically enhanced became worth around 9k and that's how we paid for it.

Anyways they wouldn't have given me the chance to sell it alone to Gauis....

Funeris

First Post
HO-HB thanks for the applause.

HappyCat, nice to see you chime in...just for that, I'm bumping all of your character stats up by 4 for our next homebrew game :D

Yeti, took you long enough. Maybe you didn't sell all of my gear, maybe you did. I'm getting old and feebleminded...so who knows anymore? :D

It was really just to rag on you in the SH about being greedy...since you obviously don't get enough about that on our group board ;)

And before you ask, you greedy Yeti, you may not get a +4 bonus to your abilities...cuz I expect you to chime in. :D

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Tapping my fingers on the desk.....

So when's the next update.......

Your lucky I'm going out town else I would lead the midget army over and beat a story out of ya.
:lol:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Hey, Funeris? There seems to be something wrong with....no, No...there's nothing on your face. You're good (I mean, except for the...no, forget I said anything).

Listen this story hour has a problem. It needs an update.

Now, I don't mean to brag, but Pudgy D and me? We go way back, see. I'm not implying anything might happen to a certain paladin...but you know, they stone your kind in some places...I could snap my fingers and......but I digress.

I think you know what you need to do. :)

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Funeris seems to think his paying gig is worth more.
That and he has to prepare for his campaign's game on Friday night where once again he tries to take out Cassock, follower of Cael, and his band of misfits. He started a story hour for that one as well, I believe it's in his signature if not I will post it here as well.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=130328

Titled the Blade of Phobe I believe.

Reminds me I need to add it to my sig so I don't have to remember it all the time.

Now all that said I will be on him Saturday for an update.

aka
Magnus the Irrational Mage

Funeris

First Post
WizarDru, I was just waiting for you to catch up :D
I will attempt to get to an update this weekend (after Friday night - our Blade of Phoee night).

Funeris

First Post
Chapter 11: The Abbey of Sin

Alright WizarDru (and others). I got this email up before midnight...thus fulfilling my promise. Enjoy :)

The Heroes stopped at the bottom of an incline. They had traveled north from Dun Moor several days after purchasing new supplies. Tobias had been ecstatic that the majority of his gear had been saved.

The summer sun beat down on their backs as they stared up the rocky incline. The path, if it could be called such, was strewn with rocks and boulders that impeded the forest’s growth. Heavy dust hung in the air and covered all of the rocks. The drought’s full force and effects bore down on each and every living thing in the area of the trail.

At the top of the incline was a mountain of rock. A recess had been into the tower of rock. Inside the recess, remains of a Morduk monastery stood silent. The rays of the setting sun cast twisting shadows over the face of the structure.

“How do we want to do this?” Motega asked, already preparing an arrow.

“Did Lady Erigal speak of any other way in?” Magnus turned to Tobias. The warrior shook his head in response.

“I’ll go first,” Motega grunted.

“I’ll follow, it is my mission.” Tobias responded. “I’ll give you a lead though. You are faster and quieter than most of us.” Magnus and Fitz acquiesced, so the Heroes began the arduous climb upward.

Five hundred feet from the gates, a large gong echoed across the hillside. The Heroes scattered to either side of the trail seeking cover from the large rocks. The twenty foot high doors of the Abbey roared open. Scuttling from the darkness, five shaggy humanoids began to pick their way down the slope. All carried longbows, arrows already drawn back.

Motega held up his hand, indicating the number approaching. Then with quick deft movements, the Rorn indicated the creatures carried bows. Silently, Motega popped out from behind his boulder and loosed an arrow. The arrow flew high and wide, only alerting the beasts to the Heroes presence.

As Motega leaned back, a barrage of arrows clattered harmlessly against his boulder. He readied two arrows this time and missed twice again.

Tobias managed to score a glancing hit. But his arrows were as ineffective as the Rorn’s. Magnus, however, continued to pelt the enemy with crossbow bolts. The mage calmly waited for the exchange between the front-liners and the opposition. Once the arrows were released, he popped out and nailed the beasts.

Minutes seemingly turned into hours. Three of the beasts fell to Magnus’ bolts before the remaining two dropped their bows and resorted to blades. As they came around the boulders, Tobias and Motega met them with their own steel. Once in face-to-face combat, the creatures couldn’t hold their own. They fell swiftly to the Heroes’ blades.

Tobias took a step forward to finish the approach and Motega laid a hand upon his shoulder.

“No. We camp here tonight. It can wait one more day.” The Rorn turned toward the group. “We have much to discuss. We’ll camp here.”

Hours later, a small campfire shed cascading reds across the faces of the Heroes. They had moved the dog-like beasts out of the path and set a camp. The small fire would probably be noticeable from the Abbey but the Heroes hoped the distance would give them enough time to rally for a defense. If the remaining beasts were anything like the first group, the Heroes had little to fear.

Magnus had been prattling on for what seemed like years. He talked of all manner of things. Yet, the mage didn’t seem to be able to hold a single line of thought for more than a few minutes. His thoughts were incomplete and seemingly random.

Motega suddenly interrupted the young mage. “These were gnolls. I have dealt with their Roven kin before, but these were nothing more than rabid dogs hardly worth staining a blade upon.”

Magnus glanced around the group his crossbow was still laying across his lap. “Thanks for the advice, Motega.” The young mage beamed. “I followed your shots exactly and killed three of ‘em!” Magnus turned toward the Rornman and noted the scowl growing across his face. The mage muttered, “Thank you,” and turned to stare into the fire.

“If you are done wagging your tongue, mage,” the Rorn started, “I have something to say.

“I know that my people are viewed as nothing more than savages outside of our homeland and that may be true. We are not ignorant to your ways. We are just as varied as you in our beliefs and practices. Some of us pursue arcane studies as Magnus does. Most place their faith in one or more of the Risen Gods, though I do not. Some practice the old ways as Calyx did. Some even follow other callings,” Motega turned a suspicious eye toward Tobias.

"No matter what path we choose, my people believe we all have our own Ka....purpose on this world. I was sent away from my tribe, the Makkapitew to find my Ka because I was jealous of my brother and his gift even though we were both yuma.

“I do not yet know what my Ka is, but what I do know is this: I have seen one not much older than a boy stand up after a blow that would kill most men. I have seen a holy man of Ceria, not only perform minor miracles, but order a priestess of his rival around like a serving wench. I also now sit in the presence of a twice-born, brought back from the dead with no mark of the divine upon him.

"Yes, I may not know what my Ka is, but I do know it is linked with the three of you, making us Ka-tet.

“I know we each have our own histories. And that they are varied. But I think for our Ka-tet to survive, any of us holding back an important fact should come forward now.” The Rorn cast another glance toward Tobias. Magnus caught the look and turned toward the twice-born as well.

Tobias’ cheeks flushed a bit as he cleared his throat. “I am not just a twice-born. I am a Paladin, an Angel worshipper. I am sorry I did not admit this to you sooner. I would accept your departures if you decided you could no longer travel beside me.” The warrior glanced toward the earth.

“Shut up,” Motega sputtered. “I thought you might follow an Achak. I just wanted to hear the truth from your own lips.” Motega stood and unsheathed his dagger. With the blade, he carved a Rorn symbol into his palm. Turning to the group he held the blade outward.

Each member carved the symbol into their hands, allowing the blood to mix upon the blade of the knife. “We are like family now,” Motega stated firmly.

"I think I know what you mean by being tied together,” Magnus was the first to break the silence. “You three and Calyx have been the closest I’ve been to anyone in the last six years. Traveling beside you has increased my confidence and abilities.” The mage beamed again.

“Not to mention your wealth,” added Tobias with a good-natured grin.

“Somehow,” the Rorn cut in, “its been unable to tighten your loose tongue.” The Rorn smiled as he rolled over onto his bed. “Now shut up and go to sleep.”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads