Incidents of Full Stop.

It seems we're discovering a lot of people will take 'full stop' to mean different things clearly. For me, it's always a context thing. If someone is giving me directions on something, I'd take full stop to mean 'don't do anything other than what I literally (and I mean LITERALLY) just told you'. Now, if we're having a heated 'discussion' and I hear 'full stop', that means either 'end of discussion' (if from someone else - "We are done with this fighting. Full stop.") or if the other individual makes a point and ends it with 'Full stop', THAT means to me they're trying to metaphorically spike the volleyball and end it. A verbal coup de grace.

This discussion reminds me that I should go back to the classics like Tron and end my discussions with "END OF LINE"

-- END OF LINE

Shiroiken

Legend
It's ideally used to remove unrelated aspects of an argument. For example, in a discussion about healing someone might point out that the Life Cleric is a powerful healer, but that's irrelevant because of its poor DPR. It would be acceptable responding with "the Life Cleric is a powerful healer. Full stop." This points out that the focus of the discussion is on healing, and the rest of their argument is superfluous. Even when used in this way, however, it's going to come off as rude.

Sadly, you are correct that it's almost always used as a way to shut down disagreement. Except in extremely common belief (e.g. "Eating babies is wrong. Full stop."), this is very inappropriate, stifling legitimate debate.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I've tried looking the the phrase "Full Stop" as just a term, but it always hits me right between the eyes as rude and dismissive.

I feel like people are saying "You are wrong, this is right, end of discussion" to me.

Meh, I vented, I'm good now.
I can see the 'as used in argument' description, which is probably the most common.

The phrase reminds me of safety lessons at work to drive a forklift: "When you come to this crossway, you stop - full stop; no rolling slowly forward - and look every which way for other traffic." I still see a loaded forklift when I encounter the phrase.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've tried looking the the phrase "Full Stop" as just a term, but it always hits me right between the eyes as rude and dismissive.

I feel like people are saying "You are wrong, this is right, end of discussion" to me.

Meh, I vented, I'm good now.
I mean, you're not wrong in that that's basically what it means. Though it's not quite as aggressive as that.

It's the same as "Period". A 'period' is the American version of a 'full stop'.

Remove ads