Incidents of Full Stop.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I've tried looking the the phrase "Full Stop" as just a term, but it always hits me right between the eyes as rude and dismissive.

I feel like people are saying "You are wrong, this is right, end of discussion" to me.

Meh, I vented, I'm good now.

With all due respect, you are 100% wrong. Full stop.

No offense, but I think you're taking things the wrong way.

Sounds like you have the definition correct. Declaring something and finishing it with "full stop" is basically saying "this is right, end of discussion". And if that something is contrary to what you were saying, the "you are wrong" is implicit.

There are limited applications of "full stop" that don't have to imply "you are wrong". It can be used to stop a conversation from going in a certain direction that is deemed inappropriate. For example, if a D&D session unexpectedly became sexual in nature. Or if someone suddenly brings politics and religion into a situation at work. In these scenarios, you can use "full stop" as a way to communicate "lets turn this conversation around and get back to a safe place before it gets nasty". Of course, the simple act of stating you don't want to discuss certain topics will be offensive to some people.

Remove ads