D&D General "infidelities and secrets kept from wives"

CapnZapp

Legend
Based on personal observations in my own life:

Man is soldier, gets deployed, and cheats on wife and ends up with kids everywhere
Wives, while soldier is deployed, hang out in clubs picking up men
First off, thank you for sharing and apologies in advance for treating the subject frivolously, but this is a light-hearted game thread after all...

As an aside, based on how very many movies depicting big strong square-jawed leading movie men who are super charismatic in general (and to uncommitted women in particular) yet appear unable to utter a single word of substance to a person they have married :rolleyes:, I find it hard to understand how common this really is in real-life. I mean, haven't these men and women seen a single war-time motion picture in their lives...?

(More seriously - and again, I'm speaking in general terms - what did the two expect? That being apart for months and years on end wouldn't tear them apart? Isn't the point of marriage to be together? What a f*cked up society we live in if young couples are pressured into the marriage bond when they both clearly would be much better off being released from any promises to stay monogamous to somebody six thousand miles away...? No need to answer, just venting)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Welll I suppose the alternative is to not allow military people to get married? That ain’t gonna happen. I was single the whole time I was in, and I’m not saying everyone cheated. Probably half. And that was both people. The soldier (men and women) would cheat like crazy when deployed, and the spouses would fill the clubs on base looking to hook up while their significant others were deployed. That’s no surprise though. Throughout history, very high stress jobs usually brought high risk “play” activities as well (when you’ve experienced the chaos and rush of combat, many constantly try to chase that rush though risky recreational activities—skydiving, racing, etc). And soldiers are a very horny lot. Very.

Also, a LOT of young married couples in the military got married right before a deployment so the spouse would get a big life insurance payout if the soldier died overseas when under normal circumstances if they were both civilians, wouldn’t have gotten married in the first place.

Draegn

Explorer
A thief who is an expert forger creates fake Letters patent to claim false titles, ranks and privileges. No one would know until another expert, this time from the office of heraldry, arrives to inspect said Letters.

Quartz

Hero
A man who settled into civilized life in the city with a wife and child but he also has a wife and child back in his home country and tells the other that he has to go work for a few months.

Heh. My grandfather was a sailor and circa 1900 he worked with a guy who had one family in the UK and another family in Australia.

Remove ads