Ingenious & Game-expanding Houserules

Ferghis

First Post
I hope folks post the more ingenious and game-expanding houserules in this thread. Particularly, ones that are either mechanically ingenious, or that open up a new part of the game. But anything interesting will do. I'm just not interested in math fixes, or small tweaks such as giving a class an extra skill, even though these houserules certainly have merit. I'll start.

I find Carl Cramér's Trait system a beautiful add-on for 4e (I think it's his baby, but I could be wrong). While that edition's combat-focused mechanics leaves lots of open space to RP out of combat action, it leaves some players who want to define their characters a bit further wanting. The linked trait system addresses that wonderfully and extensively. If you haven't checked them out and play 4e, it's definitely worth clicking on that link.

I always thought that assigning long-term wound effects based on failed death-saves was an interesting way to implement some small degree of realism into the HP mechanic, but I was never too happy with how I implemented that.

One of the frequent posters here had some very interesting houserules they swapped out for 4e's dominated, stunned and dazed conditions, but I can't remember who. They made those conditions more playable from the player's perspective, and less "skip a turn" in feel.

I love the notion of stacking advantage and disadvantage (from D&DN) for a few reasons.
  • Advantage is a real advantage, without breaking the numbers involved. I never felt that a +1 or +2 (or -1 or -2) made that much of a difference to a given roll (+5 or 10% is a somewhat forgettable change in odds), unless you get a few of the bonuses, in which case it quickly becomes game-breaking: +6 or +8 makes it not only impossible to fail the roll, but you also get numbers far beyond what you could normally achieve. The same goes for penalties, although the problem is less frequent, since people facing lots of penalties tend to simply choose to do something different. The first advantage you get allows you to roll one extra die, which (grossly generalizing) is almost the equivalent of a +4: a nice, tangible benefit.
  • Further, every additional advantage die has a dramatically diminishing impact: a roll with 3 advantages (four dice) is not the equivalent of a +12. It yields raises the average by less than 6. And every extra die thereafter raises the average by much less than one. So neither the DM nor the system has to be particularly vigilant about not giving too many advantages, since, after the first few, they hardly matter.
  • The real benefit of having several advantages is the increased likelihood of rolling 20: each extra die adds a little less than 5% chance of doing so. If this has a reasonably limited additional advantage (such as maximum damage), it's a suitable benefit for seeking out all those advantages.

The way this article (originally published, I think, here, but currently unavailable due to website redesign) made diplomacy a much more manageable skill check than my previous experience made for. Two highlights, for those too lazy to click-through:
  • Check: You can propose a trade or agreement to another creature with your words; a Diplomacy check can then persuade them that accepting it is a good idea. Either side of the deal may involve physical goods, money, services, promises, or abstract concepts like "satisfaction." The DC for the Diplomacy check is based on three factors: who the target is (determines the base target number), the relationship between the target and the character making the check (modifies TN by -10 to +10), and the risk vs. reward factor of the deal proposed (also modifies the TN by -10 to .
  • Success or Failure: If the Diplomacy check beats the DC, the subject accepts the proposal, with no changes or with minor (mostly idiosyncratic) changes. If the check fails by 5 or less, the subject does not accept the deal but may, at the DM's option, present a counter-offer that would push the deal up one place on the risk-vs.-reward list. For example, a counter-offer might make an Even deal Favorable for the subject. The character who made the Diplomacy check can simply accept the counter-offer, if they choose; no further check will be required. If the check fails by 10 or more, the Diplomacy is over; the subject will entertain no further deals, and may become hostile or take other steps to end the conversation.
  • Discussion: At first read, it may seem like a pain to remember the two modifiers. There are tow things that make it easier, though. First, in most games, 90% of all Diplomacy checks will be against total strangers, which is a +0 Relationship modifier. If there's no established relationship, there's no Relationship modifier. Second, notice that both modifiers have the same set-up: +10 to -10. That's intentional; even if you can't remember what modifier is appropriate, you can easily "wing it" by just remembering the upper and lower limit allowable, and judging accordingly.

This is my current character sheet for my own hybrid 3e/4e...

View attachment 57191
Nice sheet! It actually inspired me to start this thread... What are the wealth/economy houserules that you guys play with, and how do they interact with actual coinage? I'm very interested in wealth mechanics, since, after a few levels, I find it annoying to track coinage after a bit (special adventures notwithstanding).

Also, are there mechanical effects that go along with those personality traits? I remember liking some of the ones proposed by the World of Darkness systems and Ars Magica, but those were too difficult to import into D&D. [MENTION=7993]Nikosandros[/MENTION] mentioned another system that involved the DM calling on a personality trait that somehow "dared" the player to take action based on it, but I forget what it was.

Warbringer

Explorer
Thanks Ferghis

As you might imagine there are numerous house rules behind this spreadsheet/character sheet.

Wealth
I don't like the fact that the coinage and treasure system is so fiddly and ultimately all but ignored at mid levels (except large purchases). Perhaps most concerning is that the reward system is a separate mechanical system loosely tied to level. This is a concern because it means that +1 from spells, leveling, money/treasure are not on the same schedule.

At the heart of my take on reward treasure is a different take on "experience". In my house rules, a hero gains plot points for defeating monsters, avoiding traps, negotiating a scene or successfully completing a quest, receiving 1-3 points depending on the difficulty. (The level pacing is about 1 level per 3-4 gaming sessions).

Now, in addition to a character getting plot points, they get an equal number of equipment points (luck dice). Characters then spend those points on Gear, Magic and Lifestyle. While the former is self-explanatory, Lifestyle is a little different.

Lifestyle is purchased in the same fashion as Gear and Magic, spending equipment points for a series of benefits. There are 6 tiers in Lifestyle (plus a special condition called indebt): these are Impoverished, Day-to-Day, Comfortable, Wealthy, Extravagant and Royalty. The player purchases a tier (such as Wealthy for 18), and gains the following “benefit”:

Wealthy: The hero lives very well in cities, usually within good merchant establishments. His adventuring gear is good workmanship and can be riled upon. Traveling, his pedigree mount or rented carriage will get him where he wants. The hero is clearly wearing new clothes of the newest style, clearly tailored for the hero. You stand out as having wealth to those that don't, but are beneath those that have title. Your wealth however can get you into most areas you want, though your wealth does draw unwanted attention.

You have sufficient wealth to afford a +1 bonus 1/short rest, and an additional +2 bonus 1/extended rest, skill and social encounters.

While this is a little "gamist" it really keeps everything balanced.

Ferghis

First Post
That's interesting. Do you have a full write-up anywhere that you can provide a link to? Or could you PM me the full rules?

Must ... not ... shill.
Dang, failed my save vs Houserules.

The houserule that has influenced my game the most over my last two 4th edition campaigns has been these decks of cards.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...rds-On-the-Fly-Setting-and-Plot-Collaboration

If you don't want to read the whole thread, here's the gist of it. SabreCat produced a deck of plot twist cards, which offer a variety of benefits, such as auto-success on a skill check, narrate the consequences of a failure, increasing the difficulty of fights, introduce new NPCs or backstory elements, etc. I've written a number of cards for it myself, but I have to admit the ideas for many of the cards come from similar products I've found online. They offer a limited form of plot-adjustment for the players, and can do similar things to the FATE system's Aspects rules. Each card, in addition to its power, gives a XP benefit, so players are rewarded for making things tougher for their characters. The cards that give new combat abilities without a drawback are absent the XP bonus.
I find they really shine when you have an instigator player type in the game, they'll play as many cards as they can, just to see what happens.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hmm, I try not to do house rules in the sense of changing existing rules. I do sometimes come up with "add-ons" though. For example, drinking dragon's blood is a thematic element in my current 4e campaign, so I made up rules for it.

Drinking Dragon’s Blood
Make an Endurance check (DC 10 + dragon’s level); if failed take bloodied value damage, if failed by 5+, drinker drops to 0 HP, if failed by 10+ drinker dies. Roll d12 on the following table to determine additional effects:
(1) +1 damage when making attacks of dragon’s breath weapon type. However, dragon breath weapons of that type automatically hit you.
(2) +1 Strength or Constitution; however, your alignment shifts one step toward dragon’s alignment.
(3) +1 Dexterity or Intelligence; however, your alignment shifts one step toward dragon’s alignment.
(4) +1 Wisdom or Charisma; however, your alignment shifts one step toward dragon’s alignment.
(5) Gain darkvision; however, become obsessed with treasure and only benefit from an extended rest after you’ve gained treasure worth magic item of your level.
(6) Gain great bravery, +5 saves vs. fear; however, dragon charm attacks automatically hit you.
(7) Gain telepathy (5 squares); however, you sometimes pick up surface thoughts involuntarily, gain vulnerable 5 psychic.
(8) Skin takes on hue of dragon’s color, gain resist 5 (type according to dragon’s breath weapon); however metallic dragons distrust you and may be initially hostile.
(9) Speak Draconic or, alternately, speak the language of birds; however, a dragon somewhere learns your True Name.
(10 Cure any diseases currently suffering; however, slowly begin to transform into an evil draconian or similar creature. A quest might stop this.
(11) You and dragons have an unspoken understanding not to kill each other. Role-play it how you see fit.
(12) Vision of draconic prophecy / Special (talk to DM).

Dragonblade

Adventurer
For 4e, I allow expended Encounter powers to be recovered by spending a Standard action, with a couple of exceptions. No recovering powers that grant actions themselves (to avoid some sort of infinite action chain combo), and no recovering powers that have already defined mechanics for recovery or limited use in an encounter (such as the Avenger's core power, or Healing Word).

I have found that in-combat it doesn't make a dramatic difference, since in most cases the players would rather use an available power, than spend their action recovering a spent one. But it has really dramatically affected out of combat scenes, and in a good way, IMO. In essence, it allows Move and Minor action Encounter powers to be used effectively At-Will though you give up your Standard action every round to do so.

Mages feel more magical. My Vampire player can actually do all his cool vampire stuff without feeling artificially constrained by the rules, and so on. My players love it, and as a DM, I'm comfortable with letting them do cool stuff more often. YMMV, of course.

I also use the 13th Age Escalation die, amongst other house rules. But since you wanted house rules that really expanded the game, I focused on the biggest house rule I use. :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I am currently in the midst of my campaign that uses long-term wounds from falling unconscious and failing death saves. My rule also incorporates a loss of max HP when you are suffering wounds... which has made things "grittier" for our game since you can't automatically go back to Max HP all the time, regardless of how many times you've been knocked out. Here are the rules I'm using:

A PC calculates his HP total normally. His Bloodied value is still 1/2 his HP total. We also calculate two other values... his Bruised value at 3/4 his HP total, and his Injured value at 1/4 his HP total. So a PC who has 48 HP (for example) has his values look like this:

Healthy: 48
Bruised: 36
Bloodied: 24
Injured: 12

The PC's Healing Surge value is still the typical 1/4 of the HP total, which in this case is 12.

Hit point damage suffered through attacks comes off the HP total like usual. This HP loss for us is entirely fatigue, luck, morale, and superficial nicks and bumps. No actually wounds are suffered. These HP can also be healed like normal in 4E-- clerical magic healing, warlord inspirational healing, etc. etc.

Should someone fall below 0 HP from an attack, they immediately suffer the "Unconscious" condition. For us, "Unconscious" might not necessarily mean actually blacking out... but rather that you've suffered an actual wound that takes you out of the fight for a time. A stab wound, a gash, a dislocated or broken limb, concussion, severe burns or whatever (usually whatever makes senses based upon the attack that caused it).

At this point, your "Wound Level" drops from Healthy to Bruised (which gets ticked off on the sheet.) From now on... until the PC spends 1 or more days in complete rest to recover from that wound... his max HP now drops to his Bruised number. So during or after the fight... as our example PC spends healing surges to recover... he no longer can go back up to 48 HP, but rather the most he can go up to is 36 (because his Wound Level has dropped to Bruised.) Only after he spends the time in rest and recovery can he eliminate the Wound Level, and thus allow him to begin spend surges to get back up to his full HP amount.

In addition to this... after the PC suffers the "Unconscious" condition and his Wound Level drops from Healthy to Bruised... each Failed Death Save drops his Wound Level once more. So the typical 4E "three strikes and you're dead" rule occurs alongside a drop from Bruised to Bloodied on the first failed save, Bloodied to Injured on the second failed save, and Injured to you're dead after the third failed save. But just like what happened when the PC's Wound Level dropped to Bruised... if he failed death saves and dropped to Bloodied or Injured... THAT'S now the maximum amount of HP the character can get back up to following the fight, should he have survived. Thus... our example PC falls Unconscious and his Wound Level drops to Bruised. He then fails one death saving throw and his Wound Level drops to Bloodied. At that point in the fight a fellow player heals him in some fashion and he is able to pull himself back to his feet (having spent a healing surge to regain 12 HP). However, his maximum HP is now down to 24, his Bloodied value. Once the fight is over and he takes a Short Rest, that's the most HP he can recover to, since he's currently suffering two Wounds.

It thus far has proven to be very, very effective for a couple reasons. First... it makes falling to 0 have actual consequences... and thus the group's tactics have changed quite a bit. The so-called "ranged" characters now no longer just sit back pew-pewing without a care in the world while their fellow melee characters take attack after attack after attack... because they know that if they don't occasionally jump in and peel off some of the monsters... their melee friends will fall to 0, suffer wounds, and thus end up not having many HP after the fight with which to continue adventuring. So it behooves them to absorb some attacks themselves to forestall their melee brethren from falling unconscious whenever possible. Otherwise... their adventuring grinds to a halt while everyone waits for the melee attackers to recover from their wounds. The wizard realizes that "taking one for the team" and actually getting hit occasionally only helps them all in the long run... because him suffering 15 HP in damage (which will be recovered during a Short Rest) has less long-term consequences than making the Fighter take it, him fall below 0, and now the party has to wait for recovery (or else continue on, but now their tank is not at full strength.)

And the second gain from this method is that since many times the party just cannot stop for a couple days to a week to "recover" from wounds... they press on anyway. And thus... the PCs have less total hit points available for subsequent fghts. As a result, I don't have as many HP I need to grind through and can speed up combat by not throwing out as many monsters to make challenging encounters.

It's been a win all around thus far.

Remove ads