• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Inquisitor - Your Experiences

tylermalan

First Post
What are your experiences/thoughts with the Inquisitor from the APG? I'm thinking about playing one in the upcoming Carrion Crown AP that my group is starting.

Bonus Question: Do undead in Pathfinder still have all of those special qualities where they can't receive critical hits, are immune to extra damage from Ranger Favored Enemy, etc?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
What are your experiences/thoughts with the Inquisitor from the APG? I'm thinking about playing one in the upcoming Carrion Crown AP that my group is starting.

I've found the Inquisitor to be a powerful, fun, and versatile class. One of the best designed in the game from a fun, power, and concept viewpoint.

Bonus Question: Do undead in Pathfinder still have all of those special qualities where they can't receive critical hits, are immune to extra damage from Ranger Favored Enemy, etc?

No. They can be crit now, except incorporeal undead.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
I am running an Inquisitor of Pharasma in Carrion Crown with the Repose (Souls) Domain. He's only 6th level at the moment but he's really a hoot, and I haven't felt like I'm stealing the show or floor-stomping every encounter single-handedly. I should also mention that I am not playing with heavy duty optimizers/minmaxers (but we don't make gimped characters if we can help it).

tylermalan

First Post
I was also thinking about running Pharasma! I'm not sure if I would pick the Repose domain, though. I'm going for dark. But, I still don't know if I want to play an Inquisitor for sure. I'm torn between this class and one other.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
I'm not sure if I would pick the Repose domain, though.
My main reason for doing Repose with the Souls Subdomain (APG) was so that I could easily solve the incorporeal undead problem should it rear its head early on. I may have gone a different route in hindsight but I haven't had any fist-shaking-at-the-heavens remorse over it.

tylermalan

First Post
Yeah, the instant I read the Souls domain it really struck a chord as something probably pretty useful, and I really want to take it... but I don't know if I will.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Haven't played an Inquisitor yet, but the subdomains and domains I find most useful:

Animal (Feather or Fur are both good)
Earth (Caves)
Healing (Restoration)
Plant ("Growth," iirc?)
Travel (as it is, or Exploration, both are great)

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
Depending on whether or not your GM allows Ultimate Magic, you could check out some of the "Inquisitions" that are presented in place of Domains. Our group passed on UM, and I've only briefly looked over the book so I can't say if they are better than the domains suggested by StreamOfTheSky.

tylermalan

First Post
So, I'm building this Inquisitor at level 1 with 15 point buy and I'm having some issues. I don't think it's something that I can itemize, so I'll just stream-of-consciousness it and try to get my point across...

I don't get any bonus feats until 3rd level, and then I only get bonus teamwork feats. The Inquisitor can do a lot of things, but can't really do any ONE thing that well. I want to focus a bit, but due to a general lack of feats, I'm finding it difficult. I might wear medium armor and try to focus on melee, but I only get one feat to help me be good at this, and my horrible, horrible weapon proficiencies only compound the problem. On top of that, I'm giving up speed to make this happen (from medium armor), and need to put points into strength.

On the other hand, I might forgo the strength requirement and put points into dexterity and wisdom (which, for the Inquisitor, complement each other fairly well) and utilize the expanded weapon proficiencies for ranged weapons, but then I need ranged combat feats which, notoriously, are required in greater numbers to be effective. And now I'm back to no bonus feats... plus, my low strength score (because I went with dexterity) means I can't take advantage of composite bows, but at least I'm moving faster with light armor. I could take a crossbow so that my low strength score doesn't matter, but now I need ANOTHER feat to make this worth it.

I look to the spells for assistance in my woes and find only situational utility divine spells. There ARE a couple of combat spells, but at only 1 spell per day (two with a high wisdom), I can only use them in two fights at the most.

Maybe the Judgments are supposed to make up the difference, here? I look to them, and see only one per day...

I realize there is a bit of utility here, however, with the ability to track, eventually the ability to detect stuff and the power to imbue my weapon with the bane quality. I suppose I'm just floundering, not really knowing what direction would be the best to take this character in.

Dingo333

First Post
My recomondation:

Ranged
Human (2nd feat at 1st)
Long Bow: 1d8, x3 100ft
Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
At 3 Rapid Shot
Domain: Animal(Feather)
Eratil (LG) or Gorzeh (N)

or

Melee
Half Orc
Greatsword: 2d6 19-20/x2
Feats
Power Attack
Domain: Destruction (Rage)
Gorum (CN)

or

Melee
Elf (or if you can swing it, Tengu)
Rapier/Sickle(or shortsword)
Feats
Two Weapon Fighting
Domain: Travel
Cayden Cailean (CG)

you want Wis high in all of them then, either dex for #1 and #3 or str for #2.
The judgments and bane do help at later levels, 1-5 you are gonna be second best compared to a fighter ranger and so on

Do not worry about the lack of feats. Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin and rouge all have to deal with a lack of bonus feats. Only a fighter, monk ranger, sorcerer(and not till 7) and wizard even get bonus feats

And do not worry so much about them needing to be team work feats. You also gain Solo Tactics, which means even if only you takes the feats, you can still use them, and they can be nasty.

Outflank read for an inquisitor: +4 to attack when flanking, when you crit, ally gets an AoO. When the ally crit, you get an AoO

Pecise Strike reads: when flanking, add +1d6 that is not multiplied on a crit

the Half orc gains the great sword via his deity (Gorum uses a great sword)
You need all of 2 feats for an archer at low level, point blank and precise. Rapid can be taken at 3 and many at 9, fighter/ranger could have gotten it at 6 yeah.
They have long and short bow, and all cross bows. Effectively, access to ALL ranged weapons except a couple thrown.....
the power attack, i missed that requirement.
My inquisitor had absolutally no problem 2 weapon, I got to make 4 attacks at level 9 had double slice and finesse and was on par for the fighter for damage per round

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads