• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's Histhaven - OOC

tiornys

Explorer
Hmm. I'm torn now.

With an Avenger in the group, it might be better if I made a ranged striker.

What do you guys think?

A warlock, or a sorceror, perhaps...

Though one reason I liked the Executioner was because of their beefy basic attack, which synergizes well with a warlord.
Hexblades have beefy basics at melee and range. Warlocks have their choice, and a Human can pick up both. Sorcerer can have a good ranged basic, which can be enough depending on the Warlord.

I do think a ranged striker is a bit better for the group, although several builds exist that are strong at both melee and range. Warlocks can work for that, as can Rogues or Thieves.

Warlock's what I would choose for strong ranged presence + good melee basic attack.

t~

edit: of course, if you go Warlock and Goken100 doesn't go Pursuit Avenger, we'll be light on Dex skills. Not that we have to have total skill coverage, but it's worth consideration.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I designed my Warlord as a Resourceful one, often using a Glaive; a 2HS would do better. I took a +2 Dynamic weapon so I can have the option. :) Guessing you all want me in melee, which is fine by me. Should I re-design my feller as a Taclord if we're all starting to think of free basic attacks?

Here's what I got.[sblock]

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gavin Blackpool, level 5
Half-Elf, Warlord (Marshal)
Warlord Option: Combat Leader
Commanding Presence Option: Resourceful Presence
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Knack for Success
Borderland Nobility (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 14, WIS 8, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 13, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 19 Fort: 18 Ref: 15 Will: 17
HP: 46 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Diplomacy +12, History +11, Intimidate +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +6, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +5, Heal +3, Insight +5, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +6, Stealth +3, Streetwise +7, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Half-Elf Racial Power: Knack for Success
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Opening Shove
Warlord Attack 1: Furious Smash
Warlord Attack 1: Warlord's Favor
Warlord Attack 1: Lead the Attack
Warlord Utility 2: Adaptive Stratagem
Warlord Attack 3: Inspire Resilience
Warlord Attack 5: Stand the Fallen

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 2: Master Communicator
Level 4: Jack of All Trades

ITEMS
Comprehend Language (free due to Master Communicator)
Adventurer's Kit
Dynamic Glaive +2
Exalted Chainmail +1
Greatsword
Battle Standard of Might (heroic tier)
Crowbar
Magazine x2
====== End ======[/sblock]
Insight said:
The character would have to be an "unofficial" sheriff of Histhaven, as the village has no real law enforcement other than the local lord, Artius. There is certainly open the possibility that someone (your character) might rise in prominence after helping defend the village and the locals might consider you something of a "sheriff".

Keep in mind that such a position would put your character in direct conflict with Lord Artius, who would not welcome anyone interfering in his iron-fisted rule of Histhaven.

The above is not to discourage you from this course, but keep it in mind.
That's cool... the story ends up that my Warlord falls out of favor, maybe as a direct result of the Lord's influence, and has to go 'underground' to help people. I kinda like it.

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
I don't care which build you choose, but your power selection suggests that you might want to switch. Warlord's Favor (as Tactical), Lead the Attack, and Adaptive Stratagem are all significantly better with a higher Int modifier.

Problem with that is that Half-Elf is completely non-synergistic with Tactical Warlord. You could change to Eladrin or Human, but that might involve completely reconcepting your character.

Alternately, you might consider tweaking your power lineup. Hammer and Anvil is likely stronger on your current build than Warlord's Favor. Also, it looks like you might have a great party for Lamb to the Slaughter instead of Lead the Attack.

In any case, I recommend rethinking at least one of your at-will selections. Opening Shove is a trap unless you're building around the push with Polearm Momentum (+Polearm Gambit + Heavy Blade Opportunity), and you don't have the stat allocation for that (it requires two successful attacks to get the damage of a melee basic; unless you're exploiting the forced movement you're not getting enough compensation for that cost). Furious Smash is a very situational power unless you start with a Charisma of 18 and increase it at every level (with 16 Cha you lose damage vs. a MBA, so it's only good use is for setting up a power that has a very strong effect on a hit). I think you want at least one at-will power that is superior to a melee basic attack, and right now, neither of your choices is that.

t~

Goken100

First Post
Work in progress

Still working on a character. I've been working on a Deva Avenger build keeping in mind that there might be a Warlord nearby granting MBAs. It's pretty cool, but I'm not completely satisfied. The most frustrating thing is that the class is built to really focus on melee attacks, but there are a smattering of ranged implement attacks that are inevitably inferior because they don't have feats and magic items to back them up.

I might explore other melee strikers, but I won't go outside that niche. I've always wanted to play a Blackguard, but I'm not sure how well that fits. (I've also always wanted to play a vampire, but apparently that's off limits... *pout*.) Anyways stay tuned.

Shayuri

First Post
Better read the part about races in the first post. Deva aren't allowed on account of not being appropos for the horror genre.

tiornys

Explorer
Now I'm curious. I'd assume Power of Skill, Unarmored Agility, and Superior Weapon Proficiency. Expertise? Battle Awareness? Improved Defenses? Superior Will? Improved Initiative? Weapon Focus? No superior weapon because you went for a Polearm Momentum build?

t~

Goken100

First Post
Now I'm curious. I'd assume Power of Skill, Unarmored Agility, and Superior Weapon Proficiency. Expertise? Battle Awareness? Improved Defenses? Superior Will? Improved Initiative? Weapon Focus? No superior weapon because you went for a Polearm Momentum build?

t~

LOL, you ARE good.

I had Melee Training: Wisdom, but now that you mention it Power of Skill would totally be better! I'm grabbing that! I had to swap the god of course, but I wasn't really crazy about Pelor anyways.
I had Hafted Defense, but I'm pretty sure that Unarmored Agility is better, so I'm swapping that too.
I had Superior Weapon Proficiency in Greatspear, but I wonder if I should change it to Fullblade and not worry about Hafted Defense (as a later feat) and reach.

And then finally, yes, of course Expertise! I guess I should grab Versatile Expertise to get the bonus to Implement attacks, even though Spear Expertise or Heavy Blade Expertise are both totally better from a melee perspective.

As for those other feats you mentioned... wow now I wish I had more feats. I'm not sure I want to know what a polearm momentum build is. :)

EDIT: Okay maybe this isn't a good reason to go for Greatspear over Fullblade, but the Grasping Greatspear +2 is such an awesome weapon for an Avenger. How can I give that up? >_< And yet... I'm a striker, and the [W]'s should be good. Dang, this is hard! Being one of the other roles is easier, when damage doesn't matter. ;)

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Random annoyance: I wish the Character Builder was available off-line. I hate having to load that thing in every time I want to see my character's abilities.

Goken100

First Post
Avenger so far

Here's what I've got so far. The character concept is based on Van Hellsing from the Van Hellsing movie. (By the way, if anyone would like to collaborate on a mission sent to investigate the strangeness of the town, that works great for my character.) So the current name is Gabriel, but I'll probably change it (especially he's not a Deva anymore).

[sblock=Avenger Summary WIP]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Gabriel, level 5
Human, Avenger
Build: Commanding Avenger
Avenger's Censure Option: Censure of Unity
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 12, INT 16, WIS 20, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 12, INT 15, WIS 17, CHA 8

AC: 21 Fort: 15 Ref: 18 Will: 20
HP: 49 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Heal +13, Perception +13, Religion +11, Stealth +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Athletics +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +2, History +5, Insight +7, Intimidate +1, Nature +7, Streetwise +1, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Avenger Feature: Abjure Undead
Avenger Feature: Divine Guidance
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Avenger Attack 1: Bond of Censure
Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger Attack 1: Strength of Many
Avenger Attack 1: Relentless Attack
Avenger Utility 2: Distracting Flare
Avenger Attack 3: Deadly Stride
Avenger Attack 5: Glaring Admonition

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Versatile Expertise

ITEMS
Grasping Greatspear +2 x1
Greatspear
Sanguine Vestments Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Lucky Charm +1 x1
Icon of the Silver Flame +1 x1
====== End ======
[/sblock]

Note that I have one level 6 magic item, two level 4s, and one level 3. I credited the character with the difference between a level 5 and level 4; is that okay?

Attachments

• Gabriel.dnd4e
    195.3 KB · Views: 114

Remove ads