Insight's "The Isle of Dread" - Chapter One

Shayuri

First Post
Completely out of her element, knowing very little of dwarves, cities, or dwarves IN cities, Astra holds her tongue, but rests her hand lightly near the hilt of her blade. Close quarter fighting wasn't her specialty, but she didn't think these dwarves looked to present much challenge.

Insight

Adventurer
Inside the Secret Passage: Cassi, Nafije, Astra, Questor, and Vrashek

Nafije immediately had an idea of what manacles meant. She had not been imprisoned here, but in Thyatis she was yet a slave. It was only by the grace of her wizard master that she was allowed to travel, and see to the needs of the Swords of Darokin, the master's old cabal some thirty years back.

She shielded her eyes from a mild glare and discretely looked at the manacles, and looked for the sturdy construction and telltale gouges in the chain that distinguished an escaped prisoner from a bizarre fashion statement. City dwarves did have some bizarre fashions, she knew, as she shook her hijab-encoiffed head.

[sblock=Nafije]Nafije notes the steel construction of the manacles and realizes that these shackles belong to someone of money and importance. Nafije knows that dwarves are not often enslaved, at least not in these parts, so she has to presume that someone in Specularum or the surrounding territory must have imprisoned this dwarf. The manacles' chain is broken, but the manacles themselves are still firmly clamped around the dwarf's bare ankles.[/sblock]

Vrashek steps forward, towering over the dwarves, but assuming a non-confrontational stance. "Look friends, our investigation is of the utmost importance. The fate of many depends upon our findings. And we would appreciate any assistance you could render..."

Questor, seeing that some charisma is called for in dealing with the Dwarves, steps to the front of the party. "Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen ... and gentledwarves, and ladies.... Let us not quibble amongst ourselves concerning such inconsequential details! Both groups here have their own work to perform, so let us see whether any among us may have information or advice that will assist the other group in performing their chosen tasks, shall we? Master Dwarves, you were here first so you have the honor of speaking in the first place: Please tell us whether there is any assistance that we may render to you that will be of help to you?" :)

The older dwarf, the tallest one, with the longest beard, lets his arm go slack, dropping the head of his pickaxe to his side. "I am called Rake Stormstone and that's about all you lot need to know about me." He motions to the dwarf behind him, the one with the scar across his nose. "This is Grunder Spikeshorn. We're dwarves for hire. I'm not going to tell you who employs us, so don't bother asking. We're down here on a job. Looking for a lost... trinket. Our employer would very much like us to recover it."

Grunder steps forward. "You don't look like the excavatin' type," he says. "Not sure what help ye will be able to provide."

Rake frowns at his companion. "Well, now, Grunder. Hold that thought. We might just be in the company of some adventuring types." He looks squarely at Nafije. "Perhaps a mage or a priestess. They are well-known to be able to provide... unusual sorts of assistance."

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
At the Temple District (Adam, Geirgrim, and Skaros)

"Ah, were some of the woman working as ... in a line of work that requires skin contact with others?" Adam asks unsure how to phrase his question.

Shabby Ken stifles a bit of a laugh. "Yeah, you could, ah, say that, guvna." He spits on the ground. Sorry, old chap. I should know betta than to spit before a great knight such as yerself." He straightens himself up. "Yeah. They was whores. I mean... prostitutes. Some of 'em. Not all of 'em."

"A very good question. Do you know what sort of goods you unloaded from the ship of skeletons?"

"T'were some, um, crates and the like. You know. I dunna remember nuthin' special 'bout em. First mate was talkin' about some island south o' here. I dunno anythin' south along the sealanes. Nuthin' that's not polluted with cannibals and flying monsters!"

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
"Do you remember the Mates name?" asks Geirgrim trying to hide his amazement that he may have stumbled upon another reference to their quest.

JustKim

First Post
"One is an escaped prisoner," Nafije whispered at the backs of her friends while the dwarf spoke.

Rake frowns at his companion. "Well, now, Grunder. Hold that thought. We might just be in the company of some adventuring types." He looks squarely at Nafije. "Perhaps a mage or a priestess. They are well-known to be able to provide... unusual sorts of assistance."
Nafije gave a slight bow and dipped her head to the side in silent admission of her nature. "You're not mistaken. There are many things a wizard can do that might prove useful. I know of several different rituals that can locate objects, for instance. But first, an accurate description of the trinket and its properties is needed. Magic is fickle like that."

As speaker of the Eternal Truth, al-Kalim would probably not appreciate lies. But these were not lies, surely. They were just creative phrasing of the truth. If the dwarves drew the conclusion that Nafije could- and would- perform this ritual, that was of their own device.

Leif

Adventurer
Questor, Halfling Chaos Sorcerer 6

Questor, uncertain how to react to Nafije's gambit, shifts his weight from one foot to the other, but keeps his silence. "I certainly hope she knows what she's doing," he thinks.

drothgery

First Post
I know she's not ritualist. And I know that I don't have a ritual for anything like that in my book. I hope she knows what she's doing. Cassi thinks.

Insight

Adventurer
At the Temple District (Adam, Geirgrim, and Skaros)

"Do you remember the Mates name?" asks Geirgrim trying to hide his amazement that he may have stumbled upon another reference to their quest.

"Some dwarf. I think his name were Barb... no, wait, that weren't it," Shabby Ken says. "Ah, I reckon 'twas Hanniken. He had a really red beard. Ship was fulla dwarves. Ne'er seen so many of them shorties on one ship! Some bearded bloke was e'en the cap'n! Looked kinda old fer a dwarf, but I dinna talk to him."

Walking Dad

First Post
Adam of Brightcastle

"Thanks Ken. My friends and me will look into this. If we get any information how to heal your condition or how to break this cures... whatever it is... we will bring it back so you can maybe be cured. You have my word!" Adam proclaims.

Remove ads