Insight's "The Isle of Dread" - Chapter One

Scotley

Hero
"You propose a dangerous game. I'd favor a more direct approach as I've suggested, but if the rest of you would prefer to try and play the evil organizations off against each I'll support you."

Leif

Adventurer
Questor, Halfling Chaos Sorcerer 6

"You propose a dangerous game. I'd favor a more direct approach as I've suggested, but if the rest of you would prefer to try and play the evil organizations off against each I'll support you."
"Here's the problem with the direct, 'neck-chopping' approach -- we don't know how extensive the 'tentacles' of the Veiled Society may be, so once we start a real war with them, we won't be able to trust anyone in Specularum, and we may need to arrange a base well outside of the city for our own safety. The direct approach will instantly mark all of us as enemies of the Veiled Society, so they will have a big advantage over us in that they KNOW who we are, and we are left guessing just who they may be. That would be most uncomfortable."

Shayuri

First Post
Astra scowls. "I'd as soon lead the Veiled Society a merry chase and avoid them altogether if we could," she says. "Lets start with Barbossa's room. We'll search it, track him and his map down, and be off. Let the Veiled Society gnash their teeth in frustration."

drothgery

First Post
"I'd be inclined to avoid the veilled society as well. I may get back into business at some point, and working in this city is difficult if they choose to make trouble for you." Cassi said.

Insight

Adventurer
OOC: It looks as though finding Barbarossa's abode will be the next step. To do this will require some skill checks, notably History and Streetwise.

When you make your check, if you are trying to avoid the Veiled Society, please note HOW you are doing that. It may or may not affect the DC.

Also, if you come up with a creative way to use another skill, please do so.

drothgery

First Post
OOC: Hmm... Cassi is one of the two good Historians in the group, but cloak and dagger work is... not... her strength; no one is trained in streetwise
Cassi tries to track down Barbarossa's abode using her skills as a researcher. She tries her hand at a subtle disguise, in changing her hairstyle and clothing to match a native of the city rather than her native Republic of Darokin, and if she runs into leads she thinks may run into Veiled Society interests, she tries to ask her questions one person removed.

Leif

Adventurer
Questor, Halfling Chaos Sorcerer 6

Questor, having no useful skills himself for this challenge, stands ready to "Aid Another" as requested. (Requestored?)

Scotley

Hero
Geirgrim is content to let others find the Captain's house. He focuses his efforts more on spotting and avoiding members of the veiled society. He turns his keen hunter's senses to looking for telltale signs that someone is not right--people loitering, more heavily armed or armored than seems appropriate for their profession or simply 'going through the motions' of an activity while really watching.

He tries to apply what he knows of nature as well-birds being startled, cats or dogs behaving strangely, trampled grass or bent branches suggesting someone is lurking in a hedge, etc.

OOC: I have a 3 for streetwise and might lend a hand with a lucky roll.

JustKim

First Post
Nafije accompanied Geirgrim around town, but maintained a respectful distance to give him room to work discretely.

While she did, she talked to people. Her beloved parrot was an excellent icebreaker for conversations that seemed to be about nothing, but obtusely worked out the possibilities as they existed in her own mind. She didn't ever mention Barbarossa- she didn't need to. A man could keep his name secret forever, but not his nature. Barbarossa was a gambler, a drinker, a social and colorful character. Nafije was certain he would leave a trail, and like an arcane equation she would crack it.

Remove ads