D&D 5E Inspiration for a Mounted Boss Fight?

solomanii

Explorer
Hi all,

My PCs are going up against a mounted combatant. I wondered if there were any examples in D&D history I could steal for this encounter - especially 4e since it did these kind of combats the best. Thanks.

Coroc

Hero
That is very little info. Is it for 5e? Movement and such is different for 5e than 4e. Do you look for an exciting plot?
Well the headless horseman and his skullmob from 2e Ravenloft are the best I ever done on that one.
Basically like in that film with Jonny Depp, sleepy hollow, the ghost of the Hesse mercenary but with flying skulls behind.

Use charge: Attack with advantage does double damage but also gives advantage to defenders who are set for the charge.

But a bit more detail would be helpful.

Shiroiken

Legend
I don't know of any specific examples, but I can give some advice. First you have to decide if the mount is an intelligent monster that participates in the combat on its own, or if its more of an extension of the rider. In the second case, the mount acts on the riders turn and can only take the Dash, Dodge, or Withdraw actions. In the first case, the rider either needs to ready their action to attack on the mount's movement (limiting it to a single attack) or be able to attack at range.

A simple example would be a mounted knight on a warhorse. Using the 60 ft movement and the dash action, the knight could move in, attack with a lance at 10 ft, then move around without triggering any attacks of opportunity (unless a PC is using a polearm). The party then needs to rely on ranged attacks/spells to be able to affect the knight, or use terrain to limit the knight's ability to continue this tactic.

A more complex example would be a wizard mounted on an adult dragon. They would each work on their own initiative, with the wizard dropping spells down on the party while the dragon either uses its breath weapon or engages in melee. Since the dragon would be huge, the wizard would be in the center of the dragon's space, keeping him at 10 ft, and out of most melee range, even when the dragon is in melee.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You might plan for it be a multi-stage combat with a separate the rider from the mount be one goal. (If the mount is presented as a significant part of the enemies power I can see the players coming up with that part so if you have considered it in advance it will work smoother)

Use a mindflayer riding a beholder.

Teach your PCs the meaning of the word 'fear'.

But if you're one of those GMs who worry about CR, you should still look at a winged mount: they cut through a lot of the rules. Make one or two strafing runs, and then come in to hover and mop up.

solomanii

Explorer
I see CR as a flexible concept so not wedded to it. Flying creature. Hmm. Good idea but too late as I ended the session with the swine shogun emerging from the castle and challenging them to a fight. But a Japanese/Chinese dragon may have worked quite well in retrospect.

Party is level 9 and most likely x6 PCs. So will most likely beef up the shogun's HPs if nothing else. One of the reason I gave him mobility and a lot of knockdown is to better deal with so many PCs.

Zero planar travel.

Nebulous

Legend
I see CR as a flexible concept so not wedded to it. Flying creature. Hmm. Good idea but too late as I ended the session with the swine shogun emerging from the castle and challenging them to a fight. But a Japanese/Chinese dragon may have worked quite well in retrospect.

Party is level 9 and most likely x6 PCs. So will most likely beef up the shogun's HPs if nothing else. One of the reason I gave him mobility and a lot of knockdown is to better deal with so many PCs.

Zero planar travel.

No problem about the swine/shogun, he can easily polymorph into his "true form" when at 50% hit points. I would definitely use the dragon and flight. The boss stat block looks good. My concern is that SIX 9th level heroes are going to kick his ass in probably two rounds.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You may not have the time for the research, but a duel or joust with Dragonlances by definition is a knight on a (flying) mount.

Remove ads