Instant ice?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's more than one way to skin that particular cat.

A trick along those lines can be done with simply supercooled water - if water is very pure, you can get it down below the freezing point without creating crystals, if you are careful. Then, a disturbance (say, pouring), would then start crystal formation, like you see there. This seems likely, given that the ice they show starts melting pretty much immediately - it was only just barely at the freezing point.

You can probably also do this with an endothermic chemical reaction that steal heat energy out of the water to drive itself.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Merkuri said:
Here's another video that explains the process a bit more.

Okay, rather similar to what I was saying above, in that it has a supesaturated solution. But... that isn't ice - you should wouldn't want to put it in your lemonade.

Pyrex

First Post
Right, but what was shown in the first video may not be ice either.

It is possible that the first video is showing supercooled water though; I've seen something similar when throwing cans of soda in the freezer to rapidly cool them.

Leave them in a little to long, and when you take them out you can clearly feel the soda sloshing around, but as soon as you pop the top the whole thing freezes solid.

Mycanid

First Post
Umbran said:
Okay, rather similar to what I was saying above, in that it has a supesaturated solution. But... that isn't ice - you should wouldn't want to put it in your lemonade.

Or touch it ... talk about freezer burn! :confused:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Pyrex said:
Leave them in a little to long, and when you take them out you can clearly feel the soda sloshing around, but as soon as you pop the top the whole thing freezes solid.

*nod*. Same principle as I mentioned - but pressure is what keeps the soda from crystallizing at the freezer temperature. Ice is slightly less dense than water, so to freeze, water has to expand. When you pop the top, the pressure is released, and the ice crystals can form.

Remove ads