Instruments of the Dwarves...and Gnomes

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
When most people think about what Dwarves or Gnomish musicians (usually their PC bards) use for instruments, I’ve noticed there’s a strong tendency to pick bagpipes or some kind of frame drum.

But there’s a lot of instruments out there thatnare naturals for beings who are so familiar with hammer, forge, and fire. With stone and metal. With engineering.

In fact, this idea first popped into my head when I was playing a Dwarven Warlock in 4Ed, and the Shadow Walk ability was jokingly described as “Dwarven capoeira”. Instantly inspired, I responded that his clan did indeed enjoy steel drums.

I mean...why not? What is a steel drum if not a modified circular shield?

Some are well known instruments of old. Others are more modern inventions, but might nonetheless fit those cultures. I’d like to explore them all.

So post videos of acoustic instruments, old or modern, Dwarves or Gnomes might like and could create.

I’ll start with some modern ones, like playing pipes as a percussion instrument.

Or the Yaybahar, an instrument which combines percussion and bowing to deliver unearthly tones:

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The idiophone family of Instruments would seem a natural. This first video shows the differences between the main members of the family:

But then, there’s the lithophone!

The band Kaiku uses a kantele and sings songs about the Kalevala. I got to see them live years ago and they were great. So fun and energetic.

My vote goes for the hammered dulcimer. I could totally hear it echoing through the halls of a dwarven cavern.

I picked a kantele ( Kantele - Wikipedia ) as my dwarven bard’s instrument. The Finnish legend of making one from the jawbone of a giant pike made me think of dwarves making them from the bones of underdark monsters.

Remove ads