Instruments of the Dwarves...and Gnomes

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another one for the Gnomes..the Pyrophone!

There are a lot of variations on these out there, including some that vary tube length, and others that change notes by dropping and raising tubes over flames. Here’s a sample:

aramis erak

Legend
For Dwarves, I've always assumed the woodwinds get restricted to metal or bone bodied versions.
A metal bagpipe sounds different from a wood one... the same kind of difference as tinwhistle vs blokflöte.
All-metal lutes have a nifty sound... but not as clearly different as the winds.

Of course the dwarves have brass aplenty. Noting that when the tech is comparable, human brass was tunable (adjusting the length) but only played its tonic, and the specific harmonics from that tonic; adding playing slides (as opposed to tuning slides) in the 14th or 15th C, and valves in the 19th C... but of course, dwarves and gnomes will make valves in a D&D style setting.

metal pitched percussion, too.

Now, gnomes... on krynn, them damned tinkers will built air-elemental powered calliopes, sometimes self-propelled, and the typical tinker bard is going to be using a late 19th C style 1-gnome band...

Non-tinkers, lots of wood instruments, often hidden. Lots of mellow stuff that can be mistaken for animal calls.

And, of course, balilaika and banjos. In a variety of shapes and sizes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
my favorite hurdy gurdy player is Anna Murphy of Cellar Darling and Eluveitie. Eluveitie uses a wide range of traditional instruments to make rad metal songs, but I prefer Cellar Darling as a bard in total.

Remove ads