Intellect Devourer ate my Intelligence

Snoring Rock

Explorer
Ok so one of my players has a 5th level fighter (dwarf) who stumbled on an intellect devourer in mt dungeon. While he survived it, his intelligence is now 0. Besides a greater restoration, is there any there way to help him? Greater restoration is up there in level and they are no where near a big city. Could just be me but ti seems dang deadly at such a low CL.

Yes. Xanathar guide recuperation rules that override the phb rules allows for very slow regeneration of attribute losses.
Ask your DM if they are used for your campaign.

MarkB

Legend
Alternatively, he could 'happen' to find a Headband of Intellect. That would make for an interestingly precarious character - a genius so long as he keeps the headband on, but literally can't remember how to tie his own shoelaces if he ever takes it off.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Alternatively, he could 'happen' to find a Headband of Intellect. That would make for an interestingly precarious character - a genius so long as he keeps the headband on, but literally can't remember how to tie his own shoelaces if he ever takes it off.

One word: Yoink!

Satyrn

First Post
One word: Yoink!

Indeed!

My random treasure table is already littered with stat boosting/modifying items that give values from 8 to 18. Even the worst of these items would be great after facing an Intellect Devourer. It's weird that I never even considered the possibility.

. . . And of course, I can totally expand my monster list to include Sanity Suckers and Personality Eaters.

Sounds like the player should roll a new character. Having your brain turned to mush is a cool way to go. He should be thankful for such a gnarly and grisly death instead of, "The kobold hits you with a spear and you bleed out." I would also bring the intellect devoured back into the adventure to scare the crap out of the party and give them some revenge.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Sounds like the player should roll a new character. Having your brain turned to mush is a cool way to go. He should be thankful for such a gnarly and grisly death instead of, "The kobold hits you with a spear and you bleed out." I would also bring the intellect devoured back into the adventure to scare the crap out of the party and give them some revenge.

...Or more mush brains :)

Snoring Rock

Explorer
I just thought this through and the headband of intellect will not work. That item requires attunement. Not sure how a drooling brain-dead character can muster the forethought to attune to anything at all.

Remove ads