Intelligence and Spell Scrolls - A lost opportunity

Quartz

Hero
If you allow it, I think you should limit use of non-class spells to those with the Magic Initiate and Ritual Caster feats, and then only those with the correct class.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I like this idea a lot!

I'd probably make the DC a straight 10 + spell level, though; no need to overcomplicate things.

That's fair. I thought about giving disadvantage instead but it is also fine to just do without the limitations entirely.

If you allow it, I think you should limit use of non-class spells to those with the Magic Initiate and Ritual Caster feats, and then only those with the correct class.

The entire point is to allow non-class spells.

Anyone can attempt to unlock the magic on the scroll.

Most of the time it's going to be the character who is themed the most around it that are going to be given the scrolls to read anyway.

No one is giving the 8 int character the scrolls. Though it's cool that they can try in some sort of dire situation.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Doesn't this reduce the impact of the Rogue: Thief 13th level of ability "Use Magic Device?

Yes, but it also reduces the impact of all spellcasters. Currently they all get a special thing where they get to use scrolls. This is a far greater impact than a minor part of a minor high level subclass feature.

And Use Magic Device is still very good for spell scrolls, as they don't need to make a check at all.

Remove ads