Interaction of 2 polymorph spell effects with different durations questions

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Part of the polymorph rules, copied here, "You can only be affected by one polymorph spell at a time. If a new polymorph spell is cast on you (or you activate a polymorph effect, such as wild shape), you can decide whether or not to allow it to affect you, taking the place of the old spell..."

These rules describe what happens when you have a second polymorph spell while under the effects of a first.

The situation I am considering is my character using the Polymorph Any Object spell to change into a medium Dragon, as per Form of the Dragon I, for a preeminent duration.

Once this happens, my character would like to have the option of using Alter Self to resume a humanoid form when convienent.

The question is, after Alter Self expires, does the Polymorph Any Object spell duration continue? Does Alter Self temporally suppress or replace and end the Polymorph Any Object spell?

I'd appreciate any rule clarifications that make this clear. Thanks.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
I would say the polymorph any object spell is ended and replaced by the alter self spell. It doesn't wait until it can affect you again even though it is permanent (preeminent?) It is ended and replaced by the next polymorph effect, alter self is a polymorph effect as evidenced by the reference to it in polymorph's description which is referred to in polymorph any object's description.
Polymorph spell: "This spell functions like alter self, except"
Polymorph any Object spell: "This spell functions like polymorph, except"

Greenfield

Adventurer
May I add a question? Does Polymorph Any Object actually change the creature type? As in, you stop being Humanoid and are (temporarily) classified as Magical beast (Dragon)? Not knowing which system you're using makes this a question.

If so, Alter Self won't let you become Human again.

Remove ads