Interest Check, TSR Marvel Super Heroes!

When I look at the book, I see shapeshifting has an asterisk indicating double cost. I don't see an asterisk next to transformation. You are looking at the Orange-covered book, right?

Body Transformation is a power in the blue "revised" rulebook. We aren't using that. In the orange book, the power is just called Transformation.

Talliw

Explorer
Yeah shapeshifting is the same as two powers in the basic book. Body Transformation doesn’t have and asterisk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talliw

Explorer
Also, also everyone can go ahead and calculate their popularity as per the rules. IIRC Popularity begins at 50 and is adjusted by characteristics of your background, which should help flesh out a bit of your backstory.

Apart from a few minors adjustments, the PCs look pretty good. Again it’s really just about your starting points- if you all know one another, are strangers, who plugged you are into the world, etc...

When you say modern Marvel, are you talking current comics or just recent comics? Are the Champions with Kamala Khan's Ms Marvel active? New York is a busy superhero town. New heroes in modern Marvel are generally inhumans since terragin mist was released NY/Jersey City.

Talliw

Explorer
When you say modern Marvel, are you talking current comics or just recent comics? Are the Champions with Kamala Khan's Ms Marvel active? New York is a busy superhero town. New heroes in modern Marvel are generally inhumans since terragin mist was released NY/Jersey City.

Yeah this is generally the tricky part. I don’t want to get caught up in the minutiae of canon Marvel or punish those who aren’t current up to date readers of comics.

So, I generally want to take the method of the Cinematic Universe. What matters is that your characters are the stars of your own book. Recent Marvel has seen so many epoch changing events, I’m just hand waving that stuff. What matters is what crosses your paths.

That said, I like a lot of new characters. So there can a Ms. Marvel, a female Thor, an old Man Logan whatever. Maybe we can say this is an alternate earth (Earth 1801? and yes I think supposedly the Multiverse was destroyed years ago, I think). I know this may be an unsatisfying answer but what matters is your three characters story. So your origin can be whatever you wish.

Talliw

Explorer
First if anyone is struggling with Popularity we can talk through it.

So while you are thinking of an origin, alter ego ( if any), friends or contacts, we can pull something from the Icons rpg.

Attached is a table for Universe building. Everyone can roll on the table four times and develop something about the Universe that exists, or their character is aware of or is connected to in some way. Not all the features you create have to be a actual connection in fact none of them have to be. But this allows you all to have a say in worldbuilding and what we all know. And it may help with plot hooks.

For instance under major corporation, you could say Peter Parker is CEO of Parker Tech ( as he is in the comics). It can be on any variation of Marvel as you wish.

C76DEF68-A2D1-4E5D-874B-39820960D632.jpeg

Last edited:

Multiverse was only destroyed in 2016, I think. That's when all the Marvel Ultimate lines were merged with the main Marvel line and we end up with Peter Parker and Miles Morales both as Spider Man. Parker become a CEO because Ultimate Tony Stark was dying. Even though normal Tony Stark was retired and there was a female Iron Man (didn't follow that part of the universe closely enough to get a name). And then there's Kid Hulk. :)

Maybe stick to the cinematic universe. So there's only Shield and their Inhumans, Ghost Rider, the Defenders in Hell's Kitchen, Dr. Strange, The Avengers, The Inhumans of the moon, Spidey, and the Punisher. Rumors of the X-Men, Deadpool, the Fantastic Four, and Silver Surfer (aka still Fox properties) could just be unconfirmed rumors. (That is still a lot of characters and there's room for pulling in modern stuff as well like Ms. Marvel and the Champions without overcrowding our book). And then there's us. I think that is fairest for those who don't actually read Marvel.

And back to your original question: do we know one another? Is this our first rodeo? Second? I don't think we're long time heroes.

Not sure about what to do here, but here's the rolls. Let me think on this.
_: 2D6 = [3, 1] = Cosmic Entities
2D6 = [5, 4] = Organization (Law Enforcement)
2D6 = [4, 5] = Glimpse of the Future
2D6 = [4, 6] = Media & Pop Culture

Talliw

Explorer
As for activity, that’s up to you. I’d just follow the Popularity checklist and see what you want. I love the idea of using the Cinematic Universe plus our own touches, so you can be brand new, established with a secret identity or not.

Well, can't calculate popularity really. If Moon Sapph told her sister how she got powers and that she runs around in a super suit, does that count as a few knowing her origin and identity? Are we new to the area? Her popularity could be 40, could be 0, could be 20, could be -20. I think I'll take a moment to make a real origin story that will help me figure out who knows about her.

I'm assuming that mutant and inhuman are equivalent for popularity purposes.

Remove ads