OSR Interested in dipping my toe into OSR but don’t know where to start. Any recommendations?

bulletmeat

Adventurer
I'm sure I will get thrown under the bus for this but you could look at Castles & Crusades. PHB is a free PDF, rules are pretty straight forward (B/X style attributes, class level + mod for class related proficiencies, EASILY modded w/Basic to 2e adventures). Rule have been primarily the same since 2004. I've used the C&C PHB, 1e DMG, & 2e monster manual w/practically no work converting.
And while some don't like the siege engine it's based on, that engine is very easily modded.

Voadam

Legend
I'm sure I will get thrown under the bus for this but you could look at Castles & Crusades. PHB is a free PDF, rules are pretty straight forward (B/X style attributes, class level + mod for class related proficiencies, EASILY modded w/Basic to 2e adventures). Rule have been primarily the same since 2004. I've used the C&C PHB, 1e DMG, & 2e monster manual w/practically no work converting.
And while some don't like the siege engine it's based on, that engine is very easily modded.
I agree, its a good suggestion.

It is an OSR style d20 based off of basic/AD&D with a unified mechanic for ability checks and saves very similar to 5e but with a static DC.

It separates race from class.

The classes are not particularly complex.

It has a strong classic D&D feel.

A lot of great sourcebooks and a ton of modules from Troll Lord Games and third party sources.

One thing that stuck out to me is how few of the class abilities are based on combat. The barbarian's signature ability from 1-12, Deer Stalker, is all about feats of athleticism. The knight can eventually knight NPCs. The paladin creates grace-filled items that help people heal.

These abilities help differentiate it from modern D&D, which utilizes abilities for mostly combat. I like seeing things which fit the class fantasy and don't deal with combat. Exploration and role-playing are every bit as important as combat.

(Please note that I only took the dive into C&C late last week, and only have the PHB. That said, I was up all night Friday reading the PHB and was blown away.)

bulletmeat

Adventurer
One thing that stuck out to me is how few of the class abilities are based on combat. The barbarian's signature ability from 1-12, Deer Stalker, is all about feats of athleticism. The knight can eventually knight NPCs. The paladin creates grace-filled items that help people heal.

These abilities help differentiate it from modern D&D, which utilizes abilities for mostly combat. I like seeing things which fit the class fantasy and don't deal with combat. Exploration and role-playing are every bit as important as combat.

(Please note that I only took the dive into C&C late last week, and only have the PHB. That said, I was up all night Friday reading the PHB and was blown away.)
Honestly it's been my favorite version of D&D since 2006. Even w/5+ years of playing/running 5e I steered back to it (& Basic Fantasy RPG) as my rpg backbone. It was easy to move from level+mod on rolls vs 12 or 18 base to 1/2 level+mod vs 15 base (w/advantage on class abilities) for a few sessions to try it out.

Retreater

Legend
I never got a group to try C&C - my players were all too stuck on 3.x/PF when I was wanting something closer to an AD&D 2e experience. Now it's largely been superseded by 5e and the rest of the OSR movement in my mind. Admittedly, I never really liked the SIEGE engine - which is a pretty core component to the game (having different target numbers, having to roll under, etc.). Which is a shame because I like a lot of the art and the Trolls seem like cool guys.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I agree, its a good suggestion.

It is an OSR style d20 based off of basic/AD&D with a unified mechanic for ability checks and saves very similar to 5e but with a static DC.

It separates race from class.

The classes are not particularly complex.

It has a strong classic D&D feel.

A lot of great sourcebooks and a ton of modules from Troll Lord Games and third party sources.
Sounds promising!

Honestly it's been my favorite version of D&D since 2006. Even w/5+ years of playing/running 5e I steered back to it (& Basic Fantasy RPG) as my rpg backbone. It was easy to move from level+mod on rolls vs 12 or 18 base to 1/2 level+mod vs 15 base (w/advantage on class abilities) for a few sessions to try it out.
I love the spellless bard, ranger, and paladin. I especially love that the bard is explicitly a warrior-poet. Removing spells freed up a lot of design space for making the classes more unique IMO. What really impressed me was the illusionist. For perhaps the first time ever in my life, I found a magic class I’d want to play.

I haven’t played anything yet, but I like that SEIGE checks for skill -like things are only for when there’s a risk. I much prefer player description for general skill-type use both as a player and a DM.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
I never got a group to try C&C - my players were all too stuck on 3.x/PF when I was wanting something closer to an AD&D 2e experience. Now it's largely been superseded by 5e and the rest of the OSR movement in my mind. Admittedly, I never really liked the SIEGE engine - which is a pretty core component to the game (having different target numbers, having to roll under, etc.). Which is a shame because I like a lot of the art and the Trolls seem like cool guys.
They are very good guys. I like watching their twitch because there is a fair amount of universal rpg advice.
Not sure where you are getting the roll under idea though. You might be thinking about 1 or 2e. Normal Siege Engine (saves & skill checks) is Mod+Level vs 12+adversary HD (If your proficient) or 18+adversary HD (if your not proficient). Super simple.
I prefer the variant Mod+level+3 (proficient) or Mod+level-3 (non-proficient) vs 15+1/2 adversary HD or spell level for saves. Keeps saves closer to the 1e/2e range.
But, again, it's easy enough to replace Mod+level w/Mod+proficiency and advantage (proficient) or not (non-proficient).

I love the spellless bard, ranger, and paladin. I especially love that the bard is explicitly a warrior-poet. Removing spells freed up a lot of design space for making the classes more unique IMO. What really impressed me was the illusionist. For perhaps the first time ever in my life, I found a magic class I’d want to play.

I haven’t played anything yet, but I like that SEIGE checks for skill -like things are only for when there’s a risk. I much prefer player description for general skill-type use both as a player and a DM.
I like the fact that magic classes are relatively minimal. Gives me more of the rare magic feeling.

But, I've said my part and the check from the Trolls cleared so I'll shut up. :p

Charlaquin

That all sounds right up my alley!

Charlaquin

Not sure where you are getting the roll under idea though. You might be thinking about 1 or 2e. Normal Siege Engine (saves & skill checks) is Mod+Level vs 12+adversary HD (If your proficient) or 18+adversary HD (if your not proficient). Super simple.
I prefer the variant Mod+level+3 (proficient) or Mod+level-3 (non-proficient) vs 15+1/2 adversary HD or spell level for saves. Keeps saves closer to the 1e/2e range.
But, again, it's easy enough to replace Mod+level w/Mod+proficiency and advantage (proficient) or not (non-proficient).
I’m not sure I could go back to unbounded accuracy after 5e. But removing level and adversary HD from that equation seems simple enough.

Remove ads