• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interesting Tweet

Sonny

Adventurer
Wizards_DnD Wizards_DnD
"We are looking at ways to keep ALL editions of #dnd alive." #dndsdcc
23 Jul

This, I'm not surprised with. And is something they should have done long ago. This makes me very happy.

The fact that the retro clones' success was mentioned a few times during the Wizards podcasts last year showed they were very well aware there was a profit to be made in that area.

Whether or not you think Pathfinder is outselling D&D 4e when you add in D&D Insiders subscriptions, doesn't change the fact that once you add the retro-clones, and the actual 1st-3rd edition D&D products being played by groups, you soon realize it's very, very, likely that there are simply more (maybe a lot more) people playing the older editions (combined) then the current one.

It would be a huge mistake to ignore a market that size. So good on Wizards for (hopefully) heading in this direction.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
They could start immediately by bringing back electronic sales of older edition material...like they promised almost two years ago.

:erm:

As I've said before, they can make all the products they want and I like, and even provide support for older editions on DDI - but until sale of downloadable, electronic versions of older edition materials return, they can pucker up and kiss my posterior.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I wasn't aware older editions had died.

I agree with your observation, but I think that enough gamers out there consider games that are no longer printed as "dead" that a comment like this from WotC is relevant, and very interesting, withouth reading too much into the wording.

From my observations it's a very common phenomenon among fans to call a game which has been "replaced" by a new edition a "dead game", and I'm not reading this as a proclamation from WotC that "all other editions are D.E.A.D", but rather "were concerned about all editions, even those not in print (which sometimes are called "dead")".

Whether this is sincere or not, I have my doubts about. WotC is gonna have to do a bit more to prove their commitment to earlier editions than a tweet or two.

/M

Sonny

Adventurer
If this is handled properly, or at least somewhat well, I think one of the best benefits to them supporting all the D&D editions, is it would go a Looooooong way to bringing the D&D community back together.

Now, I know there will always be "edition warriors", but I think the effect would be greatly lessened. Well, it's what I'm hoping at least.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Who knows what they have planned, but I think a good way to go would be to a) reissue some or all of the older material on PDF and perhaps PoD, and b) provide a license that amounts to "Powered by D&D" with the correct edition indicated. I doubt any move by WotC in this area is going to be motivated by profit as much as it is about rebuilding goodwill amongst "ex-D&D customers" (that are still playing D&D in some form or another) -- probably as a crucial first move in the ramp up toward a 5E.

I say "a 5E" btw because I don't necessarily believe that whatever WotC's new edition of D&D will be called 5E. It will probably just be known as D&D and if there really is a movement afoot to repair the fractured D&D community, this "5E" will be built around inclusion rather than exclusion. Building a system or brand structure that embraces all versions and forms of D&D is probably the only way for the brand to survive as an RPG into the future.

Again, though, it's just speculation. I have been calling for a Legacy Support model for a long time, now. and would love to be "right", but the fact is that only WotC (and Hasbro, I guess) can know what is good for the company, the brand and the game. If it amounts to nothing, or even an even greater fracturing of the community, that's sad but not of any real consequence, given that I have already abandoned WotC and the new D&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads