D&D (2024) Introducing back 2/3 casters and leaving clerics and wizards as only "full" casters?

Horwath

Legend
I think clerics should maybe be a 2/3 caster, and introduce a priest class that is a full caster/no armor divine caster.
Cleric; Light armor, d6, full caster. Some subclasses can get medium armor and shields.

Then add warpriest(d8) as in PF1. 2/3 caster. between cleric and paladin.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Different classes got a given spell as a different level spell back then, that's no longer the case. A two thirds scaling is still effectively full till very high levels because it's just not a significant delay to get say fireball at six instead of five unless the game end at five
Why not just bring back limiting spells to class levels again? Fireball could be Wizard 3 still ,but add bard 4, druid 5, cleric 7 or such. This was you can still be a full caster in your main thing but be able to add a few other spells at a price.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Why not just bring back limiting spells to class levels again? Fireball could be Wizard 3 still ,but add bard 4, druid 5, cleric 7 or such. This was you can still be a full caster in your main thing but be able to add a few other spells at a price.
That and spells scaling by caster level would be dramatic improvement for 5.5

It is also possibly the best way to do it. That is the thing about possibilities;)
I mean yes. There is always a possibility. In one of the earlier Swordmage threads I build a Swordmage as an Artificer subclass. It seemed to check the relevant boxes, and no one objected to that implementation, so it is definitely workable.

I am a little confused as to why a swordmage full-caster would be broken while cleric and wizard full-casters are fine.

I mean yes. There is always a possibility. In one of the earlier Swordmage threads I build a Swordmage as an Artificer subclass. It seemed to check the relevant boxes, and no one objected to that implementation, so it is definitely workable.

I am a little confused as to why a swordmage full-caster would be broken while cleric and wizard full-casters are fine.
I don’t think the OP is proposing this for balance (ie nothing is broken), but variety.

For example, my DM has proposed a change to our group for our next campaign:
Only arcane magic users cast spells. Clerics, paladins, druids, etc could have magic powers, but they wouldn’t be spells. It is about having different mechanics for different classes. So a cleric would have prayers / blessings that function differently from wizard spells.

Shame that artificer feels like an abandoned class. One new subclass since its introduction, and not a single unique spell for the class.

Of all the current classes, that one would suit an swordmage subclass the most imo. Hell there are tons of potential subclasses which could be added for it, but never will be.

Remove ads