Iron Heroes meets Eberron

Warrior Psychic

First Post
So, I just picked up Iron Heroes on PDF and needless to say, I think it is really quite awesome. I love the classes, for the most part, and the Feat mastery system and the stunt rules seem to really make for a fun-action-packed gaming experience.

For some strange reason, I got the notion in my head that porting over the Iron Heroes character classes over to the Eberron setting would be a great idea. The classes seem to mesh in well with the over-the-top/neo-pulp feel of the setting, and to be honest, I really like the setting.

Is this a good idea? I plan on keeping the Wizard, Sorcerer, and Artificer around (and maybe pimp them out Iron Heroes style) because it seems that a lot of the elements of the setting is heavily dependant on them. The Arcanist, although cool, doesn't really seem to really mesh well with the world. Maybe I'd keep the Druid too.

Is this a recipe for disaster, and if not, could anyone help me with style and themes? How would Iron Heroes change the feel and experience of the Eberron world?

Belen

Adventurer
For a setting that revolved around magic, the IH stuff would be entirely wrong for the setting. I think you'd be setting yourself up for a difficult game.

ecliptic

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
For a setting that revolved around magic, the IH stuff would be entirely wrong for the setting. I think you'd be setting yourself up for a difficult game.

How would adding more options for melee based classes be setting himself up for a more difficult game?

Warrior Psychic

First Post
BelenUmeria said:

I don't necessarily believe that the Eberron revolves around magic, despite its super strong presence. I was thinking of keeping magic items around for utilitarian functions (such as streetlamps, airships, lightning rail coaches) but not so much for weapons and armor. I mean, there will be magic swords and armor ... but they will be much rarer than they are in standard D&D.

Basically, I don't mind the magic items so much as long as it stays out of combat. This could be done, methinks, if I restrict access to the "Craft Magic Arms and Armor" feat, or make the prerequisites higher.

But you may be right, I don't know. There has to be some way to resolve the differences.

Belen

Adventurer
ecliptic said:
How would adding more options for melee based classes be setting himself up for a more difficult game?

Because the whole point of IH is to create characters that do not use magical equipment. Tons of magical equipment is a FOCUS in Eberron.

Belen

Adventurer
Warrior Psychic said:
I don't necessarily believe that the Eberron revolves around magic, despite its super strong presence. I was thinking of keeping magic items around for utilitarian functions (such as streetlamps, airships, lightning rail coaches) but not so much for weapons and armor. I mean, there will be magic swords and armor ... but they will be much rarer than they are in standard D&D.

Basically, I don't mind the magic items so much as long as it stays out of combat. This could be done, methinks, if I restrict access to the "Craft Magic Arms and Armor" feat, or make the prerequisites higher.

But you may be right, I don't know. There has to be some way to resolve the differences.

You also need to worry about wonderous items. IH was designed with characters that do not use magic equipment. They are more powerful than PHB characters and removing magical equipment from Eberron removes one of the setting foci. The only way to run Eberron the way you suggest would be to change from magic to technology and thus have a fantastical d20 past setting.

You simplely cannot have artificers running around with an IH class. Unless you just want to count the IH class as a few CRs above their level.

nharwell

Explorer
BelenUmeria said:
You also need to worry about wonderous items. IH was designed with characters that do not use magic equipment. They are more powerful than PHB characters and removing magical equipment from Eberron removes one of the setting foci. The only way to run Eberron the way you suggest would be to change from magic to technology and thus have a fantastical d20 past setting.

You simplely cannot have artificers running around with an IH class. Unless you just want to count the IH class as a few CRs above their level.

Well, I'll go against the crowd and give you my vote of support. I think Iron Heroes would do great as long as you remove (or heavily restrict) all combat-oriented magic items, including bonuses to attack, damage, AC, and saves. I would also limit items that grant personal abilities, such as flight or invisibility -- keep them rare or expensive, but more accessible than the "combat" items. Certainly you can have "mundane" magic like streetlights, auto-cleaning clothes, etc., to add flavor. I can't see how those types of items would cause balance issues. After all, that type of magic really doesn't matter in regular D&D, where everyone is focuses on magic that enhances a character's (combat) abilities.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You keep the classes from the sources the same, but then have some rational as to why the IH types don't use magic items, and the others do...mechanically it is easy (though you have to adjust rewards), but the rational may be a little harder.

I guess one simple way would be to only have things like wands and scrolls (you seem to be heading in this direction in any case)

Turanil

First Post
I can only encourage another person wanting to use Eberron tweaked and with a different set of rules. Why not just keep the Artificer, maybe mostly as NPCs, then limit all magic which is not "technomagic stuff" (like trains and all).

Remove ads