• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Kindoms RPG info [updated]

Nork

First Post
New Info:

I figured I would update this post as there have been some new pieces of information about the Iron Kingdoms Roleplaying Game. I've been playing their table top game for years, so I'm pretty excited to see them make a serious go at doing an RPG.

1) The first book should be out at Gencon.

2) There is a preview of the table of contents (350 pages) here: http://privateerpress.com/files/IKRPGTOC_0.pdf

3) There is a 13 page preview of character creation here: http://privateerpress.com/files/PrivateerPressIKFMFRGCR_2_0.pdf

4) 16 of the 96 pages from the latest Privateer Presses bi-monthly No Quarter magazine are up for preview and they show a monster entry for the RPG (including a nice sized ecology/lore block), talks about adventuring companies for the RPG, and has a few of their regular articles that discuss the people and places of the Iron Kingdoms in general. It can be found here: http://files.privateerpress.com/nq/nqplus/NQ43.pdf
NQ43.jpg

5) They have a pretty nice miniature line for Iron Kingdoms stuff.

You could roll a Stormblade-Knight
31055_MajorKatherineLaddermore_WEB.jpg

an Arcanist-Soldier
koldun-lord.png

an Arcane Mechanik-Military Officer
house-shyeel-magister.png

Or a Gun Mage-Priest
harlan-phineas-versh-illuminated-one.png

Older Info:

From reading the reports from Templecon, Privateer Press has rolled out the details for their RPG. (Most of the bullet point info here is lifted from the blog post at losthemisphere.)

Privateer has an official video that is quite nice:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT5pjvTYl1w&feature=player_embedded"]Privateer Press - Iron Kingdoms Roleplaying Game - YouTube[/ame]

It is going to be released in summer 2012.

The losthemisphere.com info:

• Characters have life spirals
  • Combat uses a 2d6 combat system
  • First book is mechanics and overview:
    • Core rules
    • Character classes
    • Game Master rules
    • Nation overview
    • Cosmology
  • Second book focuses on the various civilized kingdoms
  • Third book focuses on the wilds– rules for warlocks, etc.
  • Fourth book is the “kitchen sink”:
    • Cryx
    • Rhul
    • Ios
    • Skorne empire
    • etc

• The RPG has a heavy miniature focus for combat
  • There are no immediate plans to convert the Witchfire Trilogy to the new IKRPG system (sounds like a job for the fans!)
  • There will be a new campaign book instead with a new story
  • All classes will have inherent bonuses to make them comparable to warcasters in performance, so no “Jedi’s sidekick syndrome”
  • Character creation is a fluid system. They estimate an hour at most to make your character, with “no calculus required”.
  • No initial plans for a digital release, but it’s being explored
  • Iron Kingdoms | Privateer Press

For people not familiar with the stat + 2d6 system that PP uses for their wargame (which is the system that PP says is similar to their RPG system). How it works is you have an attack rating, like say 6, and when you attack you roll 2d6 and add 6. If your score meets or beats the target's defense rating, you hit.

Damage rolls work in a similar way, where you take the power of the weapon and roll 2d6, and then subtract the target's armor rating, and the result is how much damage they take.

Where it gets interesting is that they know that when you roll more than a single die, the results form a bell curve. If you have a ranged attack of 6 and know that 7 is the middle of the bell curve on 2d6, that you can have about a 55% chance of hitting a defense 13 foe. However, if that foe is hiding behind a hedge, they get +2 defense against ranged attacks, and now all of the sudden you need to roll a 9, which reduces your chance to hit all the way down to 26%. If they get hard cover for the +4 defense rating, you might as well not even bother trying.

However, it doesn't end there. Also key to their system is the idea of boosting. You can spend resources to add an extra die to your attack or damage rolls, so instead of rolling attack rating + 2d6, you are rolling attack rating + 3d6, and the 3d6 bell curve centers around 10.5, meaning if someone has a defense modifier and you can boost your attack, you are back in business.

The life spiral system used in their wargame (which they suggest inspires the RPG mechanics), is that you have a grid of 6 columns. When you take damage, the attacker rolls a d6 to select the column (unless the attacker has a special rule that lets them pick the column of their choice). You then mark off damage boxes in the column equal to the damage done, with overflow going to the next column in sequence (i.e. if you are hit on column 5 and fill all the boxes, the damage spills over to column 6 and then back to column 1).

The reason location matters is that 2 columns are mind, 2 columns are body, and 2 columns are spirit. When all you boxes in a system are filled in, you have penalties. Losing a mind column means you roll 1d6 less on your attack rolls, losing your body means you roll 1d6 less on your damage rolls, and losing your spirit means you can't spend resources to boost your rolls. When at least one box in the column is healed up you lose the penalty.

They are huge deal as a table top wargaming company (although they did get their start as a 3rd party publisher for 3E D&D), so they've got a HUGE line of top quality miniatures for their setting.

I'm pretty interested, the setting is neat, and it is a system that sounds like it will have interesting and unique mechanics.

Plus arcane tempest gun mages.

pewpew.png

Last edited:

DM Howard

Explorer
That sounds pretty interesting. I have a Menoth starter box that I have never gotten around to painting but maybe with the addition of the new RPG I'll actually play the war game as well.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Intriguing - I have the d20 rule set and world book and never thought it did the Iron Kingdom justice in feel, be interesting to see how a re-work does.

Intriguing - I have the d20 rule set and world book and never thought it did the Iron Kingdom justice in feel, be interesting to see how a re-work does.
Which is interesting; it started as a d20 setting, and the Warmachine and Hordes games were the new ventures that kinda went off on their own direction and then ended up subsuming the company's resources.

It's also curious that the "feel" of the setting, as you mention, has changed fairly significantly over the years. The older RPG stuff is much darker and grimmer than the newer material, which is all about shouting as loud as you can and turning everything up to 11.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I'm really excited about Iron Kingdoms. This is my favorite campaign setting. I hope they include a lot more cool art and make the books full-color. I don't play the wargame, but I do own a few wargame books just for the campaign fluff.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Cool! I really like the setting and a couple of players in my D&D group are huge IK fanboys, but we all hated the d20 rules for it. We are looking forward to the new RPG.

The original d20 mechanika rules were way too clunky and they tried to go for this gritty low magic feel, but it didn't work at all and didn't jive with actual setting fluff which is over the top in magic and epicness.

I also HATE the Witchfire Trilogy. IMO, its one of the worst adventures I have ever read, so I'm in no hurry to see it converted over. Its a complete railroad in the worst sense of the word, with large swaths of plot driven completely by NPCs, or by expecting the PCs to act in a scripted predetermined way.

There are also several clumsy attempts at foreshadowing later events in such a ridiculous telegraphed manner that only a blind moron wouldn't figure out who the villain is ahead of time, which makes expecting the PCs to be oblivious to it even more ridiculous and appalling. Its complete garbage, IMO. :(

havard

Adventurer
Very cool. I love the IK setting. I also like stealing stuff from it for my Blackmoor campaigns, given the shared tech/fantasy angle.

-Havard

The original d20 mechanika rules were way too clunky and they tried to go for this gritty low magic feel, but it didn't work at all and didn't jive with actual setting fluff which is over the top in magic and epicness.
Er... actually, the setting was gritty and low magic. It only became epic (if by epic you mean, "HOLY C0W, LOOK HOW |33+ THIS STUFF IS!!!!1!") after years of evolution as a wargame.

For me, the loss of the gritty low magic feel was a major turnoff and sellout for the setting. It turned into something that I don't like nearly as much anymore.

But who am I kidding? I'll buy the Iron Kingdoms RPG for the artwork alone, no doubt.

Completely with you on Witchfire being way over-rated, though. As a module, it's a mess. As a setting primer before the setting primer was released, and a repository for really cool, dark, gritty, evocative artwork, it's still unparalleled, though.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Er... actually, the setting was gritty and low magic. It only became epic (if by epic you mean, "HOLY C0W, LOOK HOW |33+ THIS STUFF IS!!!!1!") after years of evolution as a wargame.

For me, the loss of the gritty low magic feel was a major turnoff and sellout for the setting. It turned into something that I don't like nearly as much anymore.

When my group originally played IK d20, it was at the behest of two players in my group who were really big into the Warmachine minis game.

They sold it to us by showing us the artwork and by having us read the fluff and play the minis game. The minis game was way over the top in terms of magic because it was heavily focused on the warcasters who all had cool powers. And the fluff and art really backed up that sure the world was dark and grim, but it also seemed high magic at the same time.

Reading and seeing all that you can't help but see yourself as a warcaster. A big badass, taking out multiple warjacks and kicking butt. But then you actually play the RPG and realize you are more of a grunt than a warcaster. And a grunt that is even less powerful than baseline 3.5 assumptions at that.

We didn't want a low magic gritty game, we wanted the minis game in RPG form with each PC being comparable to solo/warcaster in the minis game. It was a big letdown. :(

Nork

First Post
When my group originally played IK d20, it was at the behest of two players in my group who were really big into the Warmachine minis game.

They sold it to us by showing us the artwork and by having us read the fluff and play the minis game. The minis game was way over the top in terms of magic because it was heavily focused on the warcasters who all had cool powers. And the fluff and art really backed up that sure the world was dark and grim, but it also seemed high magic at the same time.

Reading and seeing all that you can't help but see yourself as a warcaster. A big badass, taking out multiple warjacks and kicking butt. But then you actually play the RPG and realize you are more of a grunt than a warcaster. And a grunt that is even less powerful than baseline 3.5 assumptions at that.

We didn't want a low magic gritty game, we wanted the minis game in RPG form with each PC being comparable to solo/warcaster in the minis game. It was a big letdown. :(

Well, one of the bullet points is that everyone can be on a comparable level of a warcaster.

The other thing is that while a warcaster is super awesome, some joe blow line trooper charging in and catching a warcaster off guard can take the warcaster out. When potshots start flying in their direction, warcasters find cover.

As for the general 'high magic' vs 'grim' of the IK setting. I actually think it is both. The setting is a world that is just entering into the industrial revolution, except with magitech. The dawn of the industrial revolution was both a dark and grim time, and a time of great wonders. I figure an IK campaign should capture both as they exist side by side.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads