• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iron Kingdoms, A worthwhile setting?

TracerBullet42

First Post
Our group loves the IK setting. The Pain Of Healing rules are fun, I think. It makes the group be more careful and not just rush headlong into things because, quite often, healing is not available.

I love the "flavor" of the setting, and totally agree that the IK ranger, the "Scout", is great.

All in all a great setting, in my humble opinion.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I personally love IK. True, some of the rules are complex, and the CG isn't set up very well, but beyond that it's the absolute best campaign setting on the market today (IMO) and that's said without having seen the WG yet!

Kane

Mythtify

First Post
IK is a great setting. That said, I sold the books that I had, and gave up on it. I was just tired of the endless wait for books that were promised. The wait for the players guide was something like two years. It seems that the RPG arm at privateer press is second fiddle to the mini's. If you don't mind waiting forever for support, jump right in.

Bobitron

Explorer
Mythtify said:
IK is a great setting. That said, I sold the books that I had, and gave up on it. I was just tired of the endless wait for books that were promised. The wait for the players guide was something like two years. It seems that the RPG arm at privateer press is second fiddle to the mini's. If you don't mind waiting forever for support, jump right in.

I'm a big time book whore, and the lack of material hasn't dulled my interest one bit. The World Guide is at the printers, and I expect it will have 400 useful pages.

FCWesel

First Post
Love the setting. Love it.

The wait for it has been hard, I will admit. But I still love it.

The Mechankia are hard to circle your head around (Hoping the book on Mechanika will clear that up some), and the book does seem a bit scattered at times.

I love the Pain of Healing rules, and so do my players; Tracerbullet42, above, is one of them. With several sessions only once did the cleric go over his limit. As for the "party structure" problem in reagrds to clerics noted above, we had a Gobber, a Dwarf and several humans of differing regions (though not of competing faiths) and there was never a problem. Most of the time Character Groups are going to be somewhat familiar with one another I think in that respect.

I am really looking forward to the World Guide.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I am starting a campaign in two weeks. We already designed the characters and I am just putting the finishing touches on the background and all that.

I agree that the mechanika rules are suspect but my characters are at first level, giving me a lot of time to figure that out if we end up focusing on them at all. Besides, my players are more interested in the story and setting so I think I can get away with skimping on some of the crunch if it comes down to it, in order to take adavantge of the cool setting.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
There is a clarification on the Privateer Press forums under the Iron Kingdoms (d20) General Discussion topic.
Someone has compiled a PDF clarifying the process. Check it out here!

:)

edited: for late-night typos

Last edited:

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
FCWesel said:
I love the Pain of Healing rules, and so do my players; Tracerbullet42, above, is one of them. With several sessions only once did the cleric go over his limit. As for the "party structure" problem in reagrds to clerics noted above, we had a Gobber, a Dwarf and several humans of differing regions (though not of competing faiths) and there was never a problem. Most of the time Character Groups are going to be somewhat familiar with one another I think in that respect.

Glad to hear it. I had a lot of fun working on that section and I really like to hear when people are having fun using the rules in their games.

FCWesel said:
I am really looking forward to the World Guide.

So am I. That's gonna be a big, juicy book of material that should take weeks to read.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Some people are griping about the Pain of Healing rules but I think it is kind of neat and offers an interesting twist. I mean, it certainly would not scare me off of playing a cleric as it is not THAT much of a chance of getting some backlash.

Ravensblood

First Post
So I've read alot about the pain of healing, From our experiences playing, you come to rely on lots of healing potions. Our group has two main fighter types and the rest are gunmen or mages of different types. No cleric to speak of, so we stock up on potions when in town. I've gone through the mechanika stuff and have a decent understanding on how it works. unfortunately the examples in the book have different prices compared to the directions. Oh well, Once you get around those issues there are only a few other differences. If your character dies, he's staying dead. The raise dead spell is 9th level, I think and no resurrection either. So take heed and plan your actions or you'll be pushing up daiseys.

What are your experiences with warcasters and warcaster armour? What do you think of the creatures in the Monsternomicon? Do you stick to there only being a few dragons and each would be like a CR 50 or 60? What about inserting more undead into the setting? Do the followers of Menoth end up being antagonists in every campaign? Has anyone ever played a character from Menoth? What was the experience like?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads