Iron Lore: Malhavoc's Surprise?

Berandor

lunatic
There are no spells such as fireball or cure light wounds. Instead a caster tries to create a general effect such as filling an area with searing flame...most of the time the Arcanist creates a surge of fire but it doesn't have exactly the effect she hope for.
This is *exactly* what I would do as a magic system. I am already intrigued, and will buy this book 99% certain.

Wow.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Krieg said:
As much as this product appeals to me philosophically, I am afraid that we are possibly close to the saturation point for this category.

I can't give any details, but we've been playtesting this - and it's a blast. Despite being a "low magic" kind of guy, I'm full of good things to say about the game. It's not low magic like Grim Tales is (grim and gritty), it's low magic like the Conan books are (heroic asskicking where the person is far more important than the gear.)

Krieg

First Post
TerraDave said:
Hmm, Grim Tales, Conan...what else?:

Midnight, DarkLore, Black Company (in some respects), Dark Legacies the upcoming Games of Thrones.

Piratecat said:
I can't give any details, but we've been playtesting this - and it's a blast. Despite being a "low magic" kind of guy, I'm full of good things to say about the game. It's not low magic like Grim Tales is (grim and gritty), it's low magic like the Conan books are (heroic asskicking where the person is far more important than the gear.)

Oh no worries, this is one I will pick up sight unseen. :)

Last edited:

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Berandor said:
This is *exactly* what I would do as a magic system. I am already intrigued, and will buy this book 99% certain.

Wow.
I have a mostly completed magic system I came up with in 2001 which is based around disciplines: energy, healing, telekinisis, etc.. You learn a basic discipline like fire, which allows you to produce a flame in your hand, or set a sheet of paper on fire. Then you augment it with something: ki, or channel power from an outer plane, or drain life energy from you or some poor sap standing next to you, whatever, it's wide open. Anyway, with these augmentations, you can project the flame, make it hotter, etc... The concept of a spell just ins't there, you just do magic. One neat aspect is that it drains your ability scores. COn becomes very important to Mages at that point. It's a kinda neat little system, though not very original. I wish I would have stuck with it.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Piratecat said:
You wouldn't be running any events at GenCon, would you?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Off Topic

Fiery James said:
WHOO-HOO! :)

I just got the Battle Box, and made heavy use of the Burning Hands template for the last big battle in NeMoren's vault (you know what I am talking about)

Yes, I am a big fan of Fiery Dragon

Thank You

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Krieg said:
You don't get the appeal of Conan, Fafhrd & The Grey Mouser? Heck an argument can be made that LoTR would fall into this category.

Nope. I enjoyed reading some of the Leiber stories, but playing an RPG in those universes does not appeal to me. (Although I did buy all of the 2nd Edition D&D Lankhmar books to mine for maps and ideas.)

And, were I to play Midnight, I would house-rule to increase the magic in the setting. :)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Piratecat said:

I thought this looked cool, but now I know:

Heroic Asskicking certified by Piratecat.

Quite an endorsement. They should put it on the cover.

Fiery James

First Post
TerraDave said:
I just got the Battle Box, and made heavy use of the Burning Hands template for the last big battle in NeMoren's vault (you know what I am talking about)

Yes, I am a big fan of Fiery Dragon

Thank You

Hey, thank you!

(Side note: If you like the idea of Iron Lore... and you like the BattleBox... I think you'll be happy with a product coming out later this year....) :)

- James

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases