Iron Man Suit Rejects

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
Soooo... you want the original gray/tin metal suit? :p
Nah, I'll take it in gold as TOS#39 is one of the three I don't onw the original of ;) (but my TOS#40 is, and even has Stan Lee's autograph in it),

Seriously through I'd be happy to have the version of the suit he wore from 1967 until around 1990. Nothing wrong with the classic look.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Silver Moon said:
Nah, I'll take it in gold as TOS#39 is one of the three I don't onw the original of ;) (but my TOS#40 is, and even has Stan Lee's autograph in it),

Seriously through I'd be happy to have the version of the suit he wore from 1967 until around 1990. Nothing wrong with the classic look.
Brutal honesty, I don't know if the yellow material on his classic armored suit is supposed to be the same unstable "spandex" material used by most Marvel superheroes (created by FF, Dr. Reed), or some pliable metal since there were no further details around the joint sections (elbows, knees, etc.).

But if they were to replicate the suit exactly without modification, it would look like a power ranger suit with gauntlets and heavy boots.

Richards

Legend
Tony Stark used to keep his (collapsible) helmet, boots, and gauntlets in his briefcase. He already wore the "torso" of the armor underneath his clothes (since it was the only thing keeping his heart beating). After having donned the boots/gauntlets, the sleeves and legs of the armor - which were made of a magnetic "metal mesh" material - would extend from the extremities and link up with the torso piece. Once there was electrical current running through the whole suit, the "metal mesh" parts were as tough and durable as, well, iron.

Or at least that's how it used to work. I distinctly recall that red-and-silver monstrosity he used to wear (was it right after the original Secret Wars? - I've forgotten now) used to be recreated at the molecular level from impurities in the air or something. Riiiiiiiight.

Johnathan

Henry

Autoexreginated
Has anyone ever had the apocryphal thought that a modern rendition of Iron Man, what with modern-day space-age polymers and composite materials, might not even have a scrap of "Iron" in his suit? :)

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Henry said:
Has anyone ever had the apocryphal thought that a modern rendition of Iron Man, what with modern-day space-age polymers and composite materials, might not even have a scrap of "Iron" in his suit? :)

Yea, but Carbon Man just doesn't have the same ring to it. :)

eris404

Explorer
Umbran said:
To me, they seem to fall into the same design trap as the Transfromers images we've seen - too many fiddly bits. I think designers today have gotten wrapped up in the fact that they can do many small details, and forget to think about whether they should.

Thank you. The first thing I thought when I saw the images was "too many pieces." I think I'd like something cleaner and sleeker.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Richards said:
Tony Stark used to keep his (collapsible) helmet, boots, and gauntlets in his briefcase. He already wore the "torso" of the armor underneath his clothes (since it was the only thing keeping his heart beating). After having donned the boots/gauntlets, the sleeves and legs of the armor - which were made of a magnetic "metal mesh" material - would extend from the extremities and link up with the torso piece. Once there was electrical current running through the whole suit, the "metal mesh" parts were as tough and durable as, well, iron.

Or at least that's how it used to work. I distinctly recall that red-and-silver monstrosity he used to wear (was it right after the original Secret Wars? - I've forgotten now) used to be recreated at the molecular level from impurities in the air or something. Riiiiiiiight.

Johnathan
So, basically it's a pseudo-spandex suit. :p

Ranger REG

Explorer
Henry said:
Because "Steel Man" doesn't sound right off your tongue. :p

Assuming you're referring to the lack of pure iron material.

buzzard

First Post
Henry said:

Given that both his super strength and the durability of the armor come from magnetic fields which it creates, I don't see this working. The fields interact with the iron to reenforce it. This won't work on polymers (in general). At least this was the case in certain versions. Also my Iron Man knowlege is rather out of date since I stopped reading the comic maybe ten years or more ago.

buzzard

Remove ads