D&D 5E Is 5E "big enough" for a Basic/Advanced split?

Mezuka

Hero
I have never played in a D&D game from any edition where we used group initiative for the players or the monsters.
We played group initiative all through B/X and AD&D. It's really a different mind set. We changed it to individual initiative with 2e.

Mind you the Moldvay Basic does mention using individual initiative but I think we weren't aware of that paragraph. I only discovered it after reading the book for the first time in decades two years ago. I was quite a shock! 🙃

Mezuka

Hero
About the OP.

No. There is not need for a basic set of rules. The Starter and Essentials adresses that already. WoTC is very worried about splitting the fan base. That is why they haven't done modern or sci-fi rpgs. The Hasbro property (G.I. Joe, etc) are handled by Renegade Games for this reason.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I have never played in a D&D game from any edition where we used group initiative for the players or the monsters.
That surprises me, not for players, but for monsters! IME nearly every DM has all the monsters act at the same time. Rarely they might separate the monsters into two or three groups for different types or functions, but even that is pretty rare.

Mezuka

Hero
That surprises me, not for players, but for monsters! IME nearly every DM has all the monsters act at the same time. Rarely they might separate the monsters into two or three groups for different types or functions, but even that is pretty rare.
Agreed. Thus 5e initiative could be simplified. Any player you rolls above 10 activate before the monsters. Those who rolled below 10 activate after the monsters.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Agreed. Thus 5e initiative could be simplified. Any player you rolls above 10 activate before the monsters. Those who rolled below 10 activate after the monsters.
We were using 10 for the monsters' Initiative, modified by highest of DEX, INT, or WIS, for a long time before we moved to cinematic initiative.

Not just the initiative, the whole combat turn needs to be simplified or reworked. It is only 6 seconds long and way too much can happen in that time. I hate the whole "everything is happening at the same time" BS, so I have seriously considered going back to 10-second turns, since that also matches a D20 roll better for sequencing the order of when things happen. The whole Bonus Action economy really bugs me too.

Reynard

Legend
Not just the initiative, the whole combat turn needs to be simplified or reworked. It is only 6 seconds long and way too much can happen in that time. I hate the whole "everything is happening at the same time" BS, so I have seriously considered going back to 10-second turns, since that also matches a D20 roll better for sequencing the order of when things happen. The whole Bonus Action economy really bugs me too.
Out of curiosity, what significant change occurs when you go from 6 to 10 second rounds?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
There do seem to be more old timer players than in the general populace, and while I'm not sure what the percentages are I doubt we're in the majority. Or even if we are, many of us haven't played the older editions since they were current. I know there are a handful who still play the older editions, but personally I haven't played AD&D or basic this century.
Agreed, I played each edition as it cycled through. Never went backwards though.

As a side note, 5E strike a good balance between complexity and simplicity for me, I will likely not upgrade again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases