D&D 5E Is 5E "big enough" for a Basic/Advanced split?

Out of curiosity, what significant change occurs when you go from 6 to 10 second rounds?

It just feels a bit more realistic. Even the most crazy action/martial arts movies don't feel like they have as much stuff happen in 6 seconds as 5E can. lol

But I have not done too much with modifications yet because I am not sure what else would need durations or casting times, etc, adjusted to match.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Agreed, I played each edition as it cycled through. Never went backwards though.

As a side note, 5E strike a good balance between complexity and simplicity for me, I will likely not upgrade again.
You and WotC both: they went out of their way to mention thst their next phase is fully backwards compatible for a reason.

You and WotC both: they went out of their way to mention thst their next phase is fully backwards compatible for a reason.

Yep, they have been saying, even before the books released, that 5E would be as Evergreen as they could make it, so I still do not think we will ever see a 6E done in a way to replace 5E. And even if it does eventually happen, it won't be in 2024.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep, they have been saying, even before the books released, that 5E would be as Evergreen as they could make it, so I still do not think we will ever see a 6E done in a way to replace 5E. And even if it does eventually happen, it won't be in 2024.
I think it will be called 6E, in the fine print, but will be e.phasized that it insomuch of a change.

Oofta

Legend
The only direct mechanical implication is 1-minute spells are now 6 rounds instead of 10. In long fights, that's important.
If I were doing it, I'd just change the duration of 1 minute long spells so that they last 10 rounds. 🤷‍♂️

But the amount of time spent in combat, not to mention turns based structure is just an abstraction. I don't get too caught up in it and explain that it's an average over every round of combat your typical adventurer will ever have.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
FWIW, IME combat is usually closer to 4-5 rounds, but even then the 6 rounds per minutes using 10-second rounds would keep most combats to less than 1 minute. 🤷‍♂️

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I would not mind an Intro / Basic rule set that works with Phandelver and Icespire Peak adventures and stops at Level 5. The goal to have a non-intimidating and digestible route to learn the core mechanics and practice using them to get your character to do what you envision.

An Advanced Options book could include the boat rules from Saltmarsh, cold weather from Frostmaiden and similar "need it sometimes but not always" rules. This could include sidebars or an appendix "For even more detail see these previous-edition booklets or adventures set in this environment."

Both these books would refer back to PHB, DMG, and MM as what they are based on, to simplify or to elaborate, so the Core Three books are understood to be the Standard D&D.

Remove ads