• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a coup de grace a full round action....

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Interesting - I'd always assumed that the point of a CDG was that it took a full round to execute (heh) and so you completed the action just before your initiative the next round. This gave the opportunity for other opponents to attempt to interrupt you in the process.

The full-attack-equivalent action (i.e. an action which you take and are allowed a 5ft step with) I've heard associated with the sorcerer metamagicing spells, but I've never considered it for any of the other things which were labelled "full round".

I'll have to go and check that up tonight :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The full-attack-equivalent action (i.e. an action which you take and are allowed a 5ft step with) I've heard associated with the sorcerer metamagicing spells, but I've never considered it for any of the other things which were labelled "full round".

PHB p121, Action Types. It's the definition of a Full Round Action.

Spells with a casting time of One Full Round are an exception. About the only other times an action spans rounds are a/ if you're using the Start Full Round Action Partial Action and completing the action next round, or b/ if you Jump further than your speed will allow.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hypersmurf said:

PHB p121, Action Types. It's the definition of a Full Round Action.

Spells with a casting time of One Full Round are an exception. About the only other times an action spans rounds are a/ if you're using the Start Full Round Action Partial Action and completing the action next round, or b/ if you Jump further than your speed will allow.

Well, I got home, checked it up (not that I don't believe you but I like to be thorough) and was coloured astonished to find that you are right!

Golly gosh!

I wonder if there are many other people who have assumed (wrongly) that a CDG should be an action lasting one full round? I know that the reading of it here is quite plain, but I'm sure that my mistaken opinion was gathered in part by the body of conversation about CDG over many months here...

Since Summon spells are the only idiosyncratic example, I wonder if 3.5e will clarify the issue of full round actions by allowing summoned creatures to appear immediately?

Anyway, you learn something new every day, eh?

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads