• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a Xill's paralysis ability a posion?

Mean DM

Explorer
Afternoon all,

I have a question that I'd like some input on. Would a Xill's paralysis ability be temporarily neutralized by a Delayed Poison spell (Clr 2). We has this situation arise last night with the group splitting 50/50. One side said that there is no real distinction between poison and venom. The other side said that the Xills ability is not listed as a poison in the MM and that the mechanic for the paralysis (one save) is different from a poison (two saves).

All opinions are appreciated.

Regards,
Mean DM

Last edited:

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I am leaning towards the venom is poison camp.

The description of druidic Venom Immunity (PHB, p. 35) speaks of poison. It doesn't actually mention venom at all.

I think the answer is venom is poison, but not all poisons are venom. So anything that works on poisons in general will work on venom in particular.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I don't think "venom" has been defined as a term of art-- i.e., it doesn't have a special meaning in D&D. That means we can go by the simple English definition.

According to Merriam-Webster Online, venom is "poisonous matter normally secreted by some animals". So effects described as venomous would be affected by Delay Poison and Neutralize Poison.

Zerovoid

First Post
I would be inclined to say no. If it doesn't follow the poison rules (ie, roll two saves for initial and secondary damage), it isn't really a poison in the DnD sense.

hong

WotC's bitch
Zerovoid said:
I would be inclined to say no. If it doesn't follow the poison rules (ie, roll two saves for initial and secondary damage), it isn't really a poison in the DnD sense.

Something doesn't have to do both initial and secondary damage to be a poison. There are six poisons in the DMG that deal either only initial or only secondary damage.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Saying that venom is not poison creates an ugly loophole.

Can my Paladin put venom on his sword? Can venom affect undead (not in the case of the Xill, but perhaps a different type of venom would)? Are druids immune to venom or not? The ability Venom Immunity only mentions poison.

Gez

First Post
IMHO, most D&D poisons are not worthy of the name poison, since the 1-minute effect, two-strike thing, although nice for simplicity's sake, is wholly unrealistic.

I would use poisons with continuous effects, or with latency time greater than 1 minute (anecdot: there's a mushroom that has been considered edible and harmless for several centuries because it killed (99% lethal at least) in 2-3 weeks, and had no special effects immediately after ingestion).

Remove ads