Is Chainmail (2002) available for download?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So I was recently looking over one of the mirrors for the old TSR Archive, and noticed something when I was looking at the page for the Chainmail Miniatures Game - that it's format was listed as being a 148-page PDF file.

I don't remember that at all; I thought it was sold as a boxed set. I've looked around, but if this PDF was ever being hosted for free (and legal) download on WotC's site, I can't seem to find it. That's a shame, because as I recall the campaign setting is part of the World of Greyhawk, and I'd like to take a look at it to see what setting information is to be found in the rulebook.

So is the PDF available for free, legal download? Was it ever? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I don't know if it's the same thing, but they used to have something called the Chainmail Comprehensive Rulebook. The links to it are all dead as far as I can tell..

Stormonu

Legend
Yes, it was available as a PDF, I have a copy on my hard drive, it's 148 pages total. However, it looks like it used to be a $9.99 download from SVGames, not free.

BTW, the action of Chainmail supposably takes place in the wastes West of the Sea of Dust, with an alternate god of war named Stratis (a play on Skratos, the hero from God of War computer game?)

The setting information for the different factions isn't more than a page long of fiction, and could probably be easily summarized in a paragraph. If you're looking for setting detail, you won't find really anything useful in the rulebook.

It's also a terribly disappointing game; I think DDM is a far superior game.

Pramas

Explorer
So I was recently looking over one of the mirrors for the old TSR Archive, and noticed something when I was looking at the page for the Chainmail Miniatures Game - that it's format was listed as being a 148-page PDF file.

I don't remember that at all; I thought it was sold as a boxed set.

I was on the Chainmail team way back when so allow me to explain.

The initial release was a boxed starter set with minis, cards, and booklets. There were then a number of guidebooks that came out with the various sets with more background info, rules, scenarios, and so on. The plan was then to compile all the rules into a bigger core rulebook. However, before that was released (and one week before the game won an Origins award), WotC cancelled the game.

Since it was complete, the core rulebook was later released as a PDF. That's what you saw reference to. You used to be able to buy it at RPGNow; that's how I got a copy. However, when WotC decided to stop selling PDFs, the Chainmail book was one of the casualties.

Pramas

Explorer
...an alternate god of war named Stratis (a play on Skratos, the hero from God of War computer game?)

That would be quite a trick, since Chainmail came out in 2002 and God of War in 2005.

The setting information for the different factions isn't more than a page long of fiction, and could probably be easily summarized in a paragraph. If you're looking for setting detail, you won't find really anything useful in the rulebook.

The best setting info appeared in a series of articles I wrote for Dragon Magazine. These are the relevant issues:

The Empire of Ravilla, issue #285
Ahmut’s Legion, issue #286
The Armies of Thalos, issue #287
The Gnolls of Naresh, issue # 289
People’s State of Mordengard, issue #291
Drazen’s Horde, issue #292
The Free States, issue #293
Underground Scenarios, issue #294
The Children of Nassica, issue #295
The Ebon Glaive, issue #296
Exiles from the Vault, issue #298
Soldiers of the Last Order, issue #315

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Thanks for clearing things up, Chris! :)

I remember reading those Dragon articles back in the day, so I was hoping that the PDF of the main rules would have had more setting material. It seems like it didn't, which is a shame; I would have like to have seen that portion of Oerik dealt with more (and maybe some more information on Stratis...like what killed him).

Deathshade

First Post
I would be interested in the pdf copy of this core rulebook. I have collected just about all the Chainmail box sets and would love to add this to my collection for use in the game with my son. Painting all of these will be a continuing hobby but it would also be nice to play these rules with the mini's.

How would I a go about getting a copy of this? I see that you guys have a copy of the pdf so please share if it is legal. :confused:

P

PaulofCthulhu

How would I a go about getting a copy of this? I see that you guys have a copy of the pdf so please share if it is legal. :confused:

That's often the rub with PDFs. I don't think you can.

Unless you already legally purchased the PDF, that's pretty much it.

Whenever I purchase PDFs I have to keep that in mind (no potential re-sale value), but with WotC taking their PDFs off the market, people like yourself unfortunately become stuck for any kind of legal outlet.

The only other kind of thing I can imagine is scanning in your original paper copies for personal use.

Ajax1979

First Post
I really liked this setting. What little bit of background was written was topnotch. There was an old, old thread (and I may not even have the correct forum) where someone compared the "Sundered Empire" map with the map of the Greyhawk world from Dragon Magazine Annual #1.

I really could see setting a D&D campaign in this region.

Remove ads