D&D 5E Is D&D combat fun?

(generally speaking) Is D&D combat in 5E "fun" ?

mikeawmids1

Explorer
Generally fun, although your mileage may vary determined by your GM, group and/or general mood at that moment in time.

i'm not a very assertive player (despite being perfectly confident as a GM), so obe thing I enjoy about combat is that everyone gets a turn in the spotlight while their character is acting, whereas other parts of the game can be dominated by the louder personalities around the table.

I enjoy combat, especially if it is epic. But it happens that the enemy NPC makes its save against the highest level spell, and it happens that the players roll just a little below average on damage, or miss a lot of attacks. On such a day everybody will feel a little "Meh" about it. But there are days that you will crit, and roll 20 points on the 4d6 damage dice... and that's epic.

I do notice that you need to give players an interesting map to invite creativity. Players will feel better about combat if they were able to do something interesting.
And it is also important to give players enough information on the monsters they see to allow them to be strategic.
Finally, at the end of combat, it's important to control the table to allow everyone to state what they will do. If the loudest player gets the most loot, some people will get annoyed by combat.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Running combat is a skill like any other, and whether its fun or not depends on the DM.

Some DMs just run 20 orcs in an orc ambush. Oh we have an extra player today? I'll throw in 3 more orcs.

Others run worg riders, orc spellcasters, the orc warchief has a tentacle arm, and the orcs use napalm as well.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The worst is when the DM doesn't know the rules to a fault, makes up wild inconsistent ones to compensate or is trying to win the battle instead of letting it resolve organically.
That sort of thing isn't the game's fault, and no amount of system re-design can fix it. :)
One thing I would like to see removed from the game is the need to cross reference your character sheet for a +1 here, +2 there, looking up class abilities etc., it really can slow the game to a crawl at times. I don't have an answer how to do this or want less player options I just would like a speedier action/turn resolution system in D&D.
Problem is, if your players are already halfway efficient about rolling their dice, being ready for their turn, etc. then the only real ways to speed up combat are either to reduce player options (i.e. fewer tactics, fewer choices to make, etc.) or add swinginess by harshly reducing the hit point totals of both the PCs and their foes.

Making it so a character can do less each turn, as you and others have suggested above, is a false economy in that the same amount of total things need to be done, thus the time you save per turn you'll lose by needing more rounds to get through the combat.

Treasury division method is something that should be sorted by the players, in character, before the party even takes to the field.
I agree. But I know a lot of examples where it was not arranged, and we ended up disliking combat because it always ended in chaos. It takes a fair bit of experience to bring this to the table as a player (because you'll likely do this when you feel frustrated, and the discussion will naturally flow towards the last combat and who-did-what-and-that's-not-fair). Best discussed at session zero, and/or brought to the table by the DM or player who is neutral in this.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I agree. But I know a lot of examples where it was not arranged, and we ended up disliking combat because it always ended in chaos. It takes a fair bit of experience to bring this to the table as a player (because you'll likely do this when you feel frustrated, and the discussion will naturally flow towards the last combat and who-did-what-and-that's-not-fair). Best discussed at session zero, and/or brought to the table by the DM or player who is neutral in this.
Not session zero, but rather session one or two. I'd far rather the discussion take place in character after the party have met each other but before they find anything of value.

clearstream

(He, Him)
3. 5e DnD combat is rarely great, and greatness comes from things beyond the rules. If you're into tactical combat games, it's not hard to find a better ttrpg for you than DnD 5e. Of course, better for you might be worse for someone else. But it it good, and good enough to be fairly engaging as part of a more complete ttrpg experience. If all you do is fight, it'll wear out somewhat quickly.
I find that the greatness of combats at my table - in terms of player excitement and stories shared years later - have always come from a combination of mechanics and fiction. In OOTA for example, I was able to create enough antipathy with an early villain that defeating her was truly satisfying for the players, and it was satisfying because the character features and combat mechanics made the final combat intensely close and interesting. It was that combination - compelling fiction and well-conceived mechanics - that yielded a great combat.

And that is rare. But not because it is rare in D&D. It is rare, period. The nice thing is, it should be rare. There should be that contrast, where not all fights are great fights.

R_J_K75

Legend
That sort of thing isn't the game's fault, and no amount of system re-design can fix it.
Correct you are, but a DM who doesnt know the rules or disregards them makes combat not only un-fun but a chore.
Making it so a character can do less each turn, as you and others have suggested above, is a false economy in that the same amount of total things need to be done, thus the time you save per turn you'll lose by needing more rounds to get through the combat.
This isnt something Ive given much thought to or tried but I believe combat would be sped up by reducing options per turn. It wont cut down on the time it takes the player to decide what they are going to do, but most likely will speed up the resolution portion of their turn. Just by limiting what a player can do on their turn may also reduce the amount of bonus actions and reactions in a combat. Combat would probably go quicker even if it takes you more turns to do the same thing if youre only spending 30-60 seconds per player rather than 2-3 minutes. Like I said I've not tried it or given it a whole lot of thought so you may be right and it may introduce its own set of problems.

Puddles

Adventurer
Yes, I think combat is a lot of fun in D&D.

Now, I have played in campaigns where combat is not fun, so in my campaign I make sure not to make the mistakes I have seen of other DMs.

Firsty, in Theatre of Mind (my preferred way to play). Distances are crucially important. Distances are the biggest driver of decision making in combat in my opinion, and decision making is the root of what makes combat fun.

Although it takes a bit more effort on the DMs part during Theatre of Mind, it is crucial for you to be able to answer your players with exact measurements to inform their decisions. "The Orcs are 65ft away, there are large rocks slightly to your left that you could take cover behind, between you and the Orcs, 25ft away. There's a band of goblins to the East emerging out of the forest 120ft away. The wounded paladin is 20ft behind you. What do you do?"

Secondly, every combat needs a unique hook. You wouldn't present the same puzzle to players multiple times, nor should you present the exact same combat. There are infinite ways to do this, you fought 3 orcs last time amidst some ruins. This time you are fighting 3 orcs on a bridge with a perilous drop either side. Or this time the 3 Orcs have brought some wolves with them, or goblin archers, or it's at night time, or they are being sneaky instead of charging you in the open (being "kunnin' yet brutal"). :)

I take pride in my combat encounters and I can see my players really enjoy them. At the same time, once we've had a particularly lengthy combat, I try to get them exploring and socializing afterwards to help maintain pacing. People can get fed up of pizza and ice-cream if its the only thing they eat.

Remove ads