Is Four Color to Fantasy still good?

I was trying to get this out of another thread and failing.

The basic question is, how much would I have to adjust it for 3.5?

I want to use it so that 'super powers' replace magic items, but I want to know if it is still balanced and whether or not it is still the best buy for my money given that I can get so much else on .pdf these days.

I do have M&M but as I recall you couldn't do the gold at this level represents so many power points thing as easily using that system.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
It's still good, I think. Personally, I like the Anima class from EoM[R]/Lyceian Arcana. EoM[R] is great already. The anima class is basically the Hero from FCtF, but built more like magic items using the system of EoM[R].

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
The Invulnerability power is incompatible with 3.5, and I've been trying for months to get it working right. Everything I attempt is either prohibitively expensive for minor protection or obscenely cheap for complete invincibility-- and many of my solutions have ended up both.

The Haste superpower is designed to work like 3.0 Haste, and should have some limit placed on using it with spellcasting-- otherwise, it works out very nicely. Unlike the 3.5 spell Haste, it has a very clear flavor of making your character faster.

Other than that, it should port over with very little trouble.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
I wouldn't say so. Elements of Magic is mainly focused on replacing the D&D spell system, and I don't think it would work very well as a tack-on. Four Color to Fantasy is designed as a tack-on.

Dr. Strangemonkey, the reason EOM works for super-powers is that the magic system includes rules for magic item creation, including "Permanent Spells" rather than magic items. The default explanation for these is that they are spells enchanting a person, rather than an item, but you could just as easily say that they are innate skills or powers a person has developed. They're based in the new magic system, which lets you replicate all sorts of Wuxia-esque actions.

Instead of having a 16,000 gp item, you could have a permanent 4 MP spell ability, like the ability to run up walls or to hurl a sword for massive damage. In EOM, that would be a Move spell and an Evoke spell, but by changing the flavor just a little bit, you can really create any sort of power you want, and have a balanced equivalent gold piece cost. Or, if you already have FCTF, take that table for Gold Pieces to Hero Points, divide the Hero Points value by 2, and you have about how many MP worth of spell abilities the money is worth.

RangerWickett said:
Dr. Strangemonkey, the reason EOM works for super-powers is that the magic system includes rules for magic item creation, including "Permanent Spells" rather than magic items. The default explanation for these is that they are spells enchanting a person, rather than an item, but you could just as easily say that they are innate skills or powers a person has developed. They're based in the new magic system, which lets you replicate all sorts of Wuxia-esque actions.

Instead of having a 16,000 gp item, you could have a permanent 4 MP spell ability, like the ability to run up walls or to hurl a sword for massive damage. In EOM, that would be a Move spell and an Evoke spell, but by changing the flavor just a little bit, you can really create any sort of power you want, and have a balanced equivalent gold piece cost. Or, if you already have FCTF, take that table for Gold Pieces to Hero Points, divide the Hero Points value by 2, and you have about how many MP worth of spell abilities the money is worth.

Ok, now that sounds truly and massively awesome! Thank-you for explaining it that way! If your offer still stands I will happily take you up on it and see how it works as an add on.

Remove ads