• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Hackmaster a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hong

WotC's bitch
thegreatbuddha said:
Who's bitter? I was citing an example of what is par for course here at ENworld. This happens routinely.

What, you mean your getting reamed out? I must say I disagree.

I no longer bother posting after somebody "famous" WANGERS. There's no point.

You're still pooooosting!

Hong "lalaLAlala can't hear you" Ooi

Legba

First Post
Getting back on topic, I'd like to quote mossfootx from the Kenzer & co forums on this topic:

What has to be realized first and formost is that the game ENGINE is not a joke. It is a revamped and improved (though also more complicated) version of 1e and 2e AD&D. The content is often tongue in cheek, but not in a GAME sense, only in a GAMER sense. The game itself is serious enough, punctuated by intentional comedy. In fact, Indiana Jones would in some ways be a good comparison. Great action flick, but man, there are jokes every couple minutes. Does anyone complain? Does anyone say "Indiana Jones is a joke?"

GURPS on the other hand, has Diskworld as an RPG. The GURPS engine is solid. The Diskworld game is fantasy/comedy (puncutated by moments of tragic relief). Does that make the Diskworld game a joke? I guess it depends on your point of view, but judging from Terry Pratchett's books, it's proof that comedy can also have real meaning.

--

Now, I'll be happy to forward any replies to this to him, or you could always join the Kenzer & co forums and chat a bit there. :)

Emanuel

hong

WotC's bitch
Legba said:

GURPS on the other hand, has Diskworld as an RPG. The GURPS engine is solid. The Diskworld game is fantasy/comedy (puncutated by moments of tragic relief). Does that make the Diskworld game a joke? I guess it depends on your point of view, but judging from Terry Pratchett's books, it's proof that comedy can also have real meaning.

Heck, I devoured all three seasons of the Slayers anime, and Slayers Next is my definite favourite, _because_ it also features the most character development and interaction between the leads. I'd be the first to agree that shows that play for laughs can also be deep and interesting in other ways as well. :)

Legba

First Post
Feel... myself... losing... touch... with... topic.

Slayers, you say? I havn't seen that one yet. I've just finnished collecting "Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040" (argh. Stupid title.) and I was thinking of starting on Cowboy Bebop, but Slayers looks cool... any recomendations?

Emanuel

hong

WotC's bitch
Legba said:
Feel... myself... losing... touch... with... topic.

[Palpatine]
It is useless to resist, young Jedi!
[/Palpatine]

Slayers, you say? I havn't seen that one yet. I've just finnished collecting "Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040" (argh. Stupid title.) and I was thinking of starting on Cowboy Bebop, but Slayers looks cool... any recomendations?

D00d, if you play Hackmaster, you absolutely must see Slayers. It's like the anime equivalent of HM. It started out as a bunch of short stories in the Japanese RPG mag Dragon (no relation to the other one), and it sends up every FRPG trope and stereotype you can think of. But it's also got a plot, fascinating characters, and is interesting in its own right, not just as a parody of the D&D fantasy genre.

Last I checked, there were three TV series, a manga, 2-3 radio series, a couple of OVAs, and three movies. Googling on "Slayers" or "Lina Inverse" should net you a few zillion hits; here are some.

http://www.inverse.org/
http://slayers.ann-oyama.com/
http://www.anipike.com/slayers.html

Last edited:

Legba

First Post
hong said:
[Palpatine]
[/Palpatine]

[Luke]
Nooooooooooo!!!!!
[/Luke]

hong said:
D00d, if you play Hackmaster, you absolutely must see Slayers. It's like the anime equivalent of HM. It started out as a bunch of short stories in the Japanese RPG mag Dragon (no relation to the other one), and it sends up every fantasy trope and stereotype you can think of. But it's also got a plot, fascinating characters, and is interesting in its own right, not just as a parody of the D&D fantasy genre.

Sounds cool. I've got the Record of Lodoss War series, which did a pretty good job of emulating D&D (it's based on a D&D campaign, after all...), but a parody? That's always welcome. :D

hong said:
Last I checked, there were three TV series, a manga, 2-3 radio series, a couple of OVAs, and three movies. Googling on "Slayers" or "Lina Inverse" should net you a few zillion hits; here are some.

Argh. That's the problem. Where to start? It's like Dragonball Z. I could never get into it because there's just so much out there. What is it now, 27 films? :eek:
And once I start collecting a series, I'm absolutly lost untill I get the entire thing.

Emanuel

Last edited:

arwink

Clockwork Golem
hong said:

[Palpatine]
[/Palpatine]

"You're mission, Hong, if you choose to accept it, is to Pimp Slayers on every thread possible in the one week" :D

Sorry bout that everyone, leave you to your regularly schedualed thread...

hong

WotC's bitch
Legba said:

Sounds cool. I've got the Record of Lodoss War series, which did a pretty good job of emulating D&D (it's based on a D&D campaign, after all...), but a parody? That's always welcome. :D

I think I've seen it said somewhere before: Lodoss is the campaign people aspire to play, and Slayers is the campaign they end up playing. That probably says it all. ;)

Argh. That's the problem. Where to start? It's like Dragonball Z. I could never get into it because there's just so much out there. What is it now, 27 films? :eek:

I would just get the TV series for starters. There are three seasons, titled "Slayers", "Slayers Next" and "Slayers Try", each with 26 episodes. The OVAs follow a completely different timeline, set before the TV series, and feature a different cast of characters (with the exception of Lina Inverse, the central character in all the productions). Once you've seen one season, you can decide whether you want to continue with the franchise.

hong

WotC's bitch
arwink said:

"You're mission, Hong, if you choose to accept it, is to Pimp Slayers on every thread possible in the one week" :D

It pays the rent.

Er, hang on, no it doesn't. Who the heck signed this deal?

Hong "wants his money back" Ooi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads