• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it gauche to announce someone else's products?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I frequently window shop around various RPG e-vendor sites, and I often see a lot of great products that have just been released. However, when I then come over to the EN World Publishers' forum, there's no corresponding announcement about it here. Is it rude or otherwise tactless to take it upon myself to make an announcement that X product by company Y is now available, maybe talk about it a bit, and link to the storefront?

Sigurd

First Post
Mainly, I think you have a point.

Now you're a Main Gauche!

Seriously - You are promoting a product\production house for free because you like them. Don't stop. Don't misrepresent yourself - Say your are very pleased with _zot_ and they are doing something you like.

As a consumer, this is great when its genuine.

I can't imagine a producer wouldn't be pleased at the help.

Sigurd

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Alzrius said:
I frequently window shop around various RPG e-vendor sites, and I often see a lot of great products that have just been released. However, when I then come over to the EN World Publishers' forum, there's no corresponding announcement about it here. Is it rude or otherwise tactless to take it upon myself to make an announcement that X product by company Y is now available, maybe talk about it a bit, and link to the storefront?

I'd suggest announcing any cool products you see in the General forum and let the publishers do their "market speak" here in the Publisher's forum.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Do be selective, though. There are certain posters who pimp everything from a given publisher and I think it turns a lot of people off as an intentional skirting of forum rules.

Treebore

First Post
Alzrius said:

It probably is "bad manners" to announce such things, because I frequently do it about stuff I like.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Do be selective, though. There are certain posters who pimp everything from a given publisher and I think it turns a lot of people off as an intentional skirting of forum rules.

Yes. It's fine to take it upon yourself to do a publisher's publicity for free; but be aware that the regular rules apply. Publicity belongs in Publishers, even when couched as discussion.

Vigilance

Explorer
Yeah, I think something like "hey, I saw this book and it looks good" would be ok, but a full on press release might be dicier.

tensen

First Post
Alzrius said:

I wouldn't find it rude at all.
Just make sure to state that you are a fan and not related to the company. This way there is no possible flack if there is something said that is incorrect.

Remove ads