Is it my imagination, or...

darjr

I crit!
I'm a fan of D&D in all it's versions. For many reasons, some of them not at all the same. It's one of the reasons I like this site and the current trend.

Ariosto

First Post
Yeah, no point in courting aneurysms. Some folks still manage to get hackles up when I'm agreeing with them, but I guess some are just that way. Maybe part of the relative easing of tensions is that the 4E "honeymoon" is mostly over. By '81, I think it was widely accepted that 1E was not perfect, and the same has happened with each new game since. The flip side is that the initial shock, for those of us predisposed to be scandalized, has also had its day.

At the same time, there seem to have been a notable (?? I have not been around long enough to know what's in the long run typical.) number of threads each spawning forked threads.

One thing that occurs to me is that, while they were not necessarily up to retrospective billing, the old Best of The Dragon volumes passed on a lot of touchstones of D&D history. A lot more history has passed under the bridge since, and a new edition maybe gets folks to wondering about what went before.

Xyanthon

First Post
I've noticed it too Myth. It has increased my interest in coming and checking out the discussions here. It's nice to see gamers talking about games instead of intent on flaming folks for their preference in gaming. I'll never understand that.

Treebore

First Post
I like to think everyone is finally realizing that we are all gamers, and THAT is the commonality we should worry about, not what is thought to be the "best" edition around. We all, presumably, have fun playing what we play, so why try to insist whatever it is we play is superior to everyone elses.

Kind of like Obryn may be suggesting, each edition offers us a different kind of game play, and since we are all human we will not all agree on one version being the best game play for everyone.

So maybe people are "maturing" and finally realizing we should concentrate on what is fun, rather than getting all bent out of shape because someone else prefers an edition/version/clone of D&D you don't like.

Anyways, I hope this "trend" comes to represent the dominant attitude of ENWorld, I would like another board where I can find people with which I can discuss rules, etc... from every edition of D&D without people getting bent out of shape over a game.

I at least "like" every edition of D&D, and can and will playany of them. Heck, I even had a fun time playing Mythmere's S&W at a Convention a couple of weekends ago, a blast actually. I hope to be playing some 1E/LL/OSRIC in the near future, or some 2E, and I know I will be playing 4E again soon. A possible 3E game isn't on my radar yet, but hey, Gen Con is coming up with the intro of Pathfinder, so that can happen too. Plus I will certainly be running and playing C&C, CORTEX is lined up for next Monday, Traveller is coming up in a few weeks as well.

See the trend? I am a gamer, and I love to play. Hopefully everyone is realizing the same thing about themselves, and all the ugly arguments of the past will occur far less frequently now.

We are human, so I know they will not disappear.

I am not seeing it. *puts fingers in ears* lalalalala.

Seems to me as if the "old schoolers" come out of their closests. In some ways interesting, in some ways not. It's interesting to see what or how other people play, but I still come out in the end as not interested in doing it that way myself.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I am not seeing it. *puts fingers in ears* lalalalala.

Seems to me as if the "old schoolers" come out of their closests. In some ways interesting, in some ways not. It's interesting to see what or how other people play, but I still come out in the end as not interested in doing it that way myself.

Does this mean you won't buy my Chainmail clone? :.-(

Aus_Snow

First Post
I was mildly surprised and pleased to see that it never went that way.
'Tis a great thread. :)

I mean, there is a lot of "Oh man that thing about [older edition of D&D] was so screwed up..." here and again, but hey, it's a 3e/43 fansite primarily, and I accept that going in nowadays. It keeps my blood pressure lower.
Heh. Funny thing there is, there's vastly more of that stuff levelled at 3e and 4e at this site, than at any other games.

So yeah, 'fansite'? I guess. I mean, technically it is, of course. But the flipside of that is, well, all that stuff.

. . . of which there is considerably less these days, mind you (in any direction).

Remove ads