• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it sadder when an elf dies than when a human dies?

tonym

First Post
LOL, some of you guys crack me up. :)
billd91 said:
You're supposed to feel that way...PJ wants you to feel the loss of the elves who sacrificed everything (immortality in a world away from strife) to die fighting Sauron's evil...

Ah-HAH! Thanks. No wonder I didn't rejoice at their demise (my usual reaction to dead elves).

My wife said she felt extra sad about the elves dying, too, but mostly attributed her feelings to the elves being pretty and noble and that they created exceptionally beautiful things.

Tony

Last edited:

dreaded_beast

First Post
Nah, I don't think it's more or less tragic if an elf dies when compared to a human.

Why is an elven life worth more than a humans?

To me, that's somewhat implying that an elf is better than a human, because an elven death is much more tragic than a human one.

Bah!

When an Orc dies, now that's a tragedy.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I can reliably inform everyone that my housemate simmo saw Two Towers at least three times, and by the time of the third battle of Helm's Deep he was cheering the orcs. :)

Personally, I found Haldir a little too snooty and annoying for my taste. And I felt the terrible poignancy of his death was hammered home a little too forcibily for me to accept it.

ironmani

First Post
Did I feel bad when the Elves at Helms Deep died? Not really. The one death I felt the most was Theoden. That really choked me up. I think he was one of my top favorite characters in the movie and books. Heres a guy that has to fight in not one, but two of the biggest battles of his time. By the end of Helms Deep and the battle in the third movie, (The name escapes me) he is charasmatic that I wanted to get out there and fight! I mean here comes a charging herd of giant elephants and what does he do?
"Reform the lines!!!! Charge!!!!!"
Awesome truely awesome!!!!!! A king among kings!

Laurel

First Post
Part of Jackson's plan- Where else do you see elves getting killed/dying? These are creatures that were fading from the world anyways, yet chose to stand one last time against Sauron.
Plus, he puts the elves in shiny armor so as they die they battle just gets darker and darker, not just in feel but visually too.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
tonym said:
I was watching the LoTR DVD--the part where all the orcs are attacking Helm’s Deep--and I noticed something odd. When an elf died, I felt sadder than when a human died.

Does anybody else feel this way when watching that movie?

The elves' potentially long lives made their deaths more tragic, I think.

I have a follow-up question: Has anybody played in a campaign where the murder of a member of a long-lived race, like an elf, is treated as a more serious crime than the murder of a member of a relatively short-lived race, like a human?
I disagree that their potentially long lives made their deaths more tragic. Who is to say that a long life filled with little is more valuable than a short life filled with much?

No, haven't played in a campaign like that.

Rationale: IIRC, in Tolkien's cosmology, humans, hobbits, et al were given by Iluvatar (the "God" above the Valar) the gift of death - and through death, the ability to move on to other realms beyond the realm of elven - or Valar - perception. That is, the elves and Valar knew that Iluvatar had some purpose for men, and some destination for their "souls" after death. Death, then, is not the end for humans and hobbits - or presumably for Istari, Sauron, and other powerful spirits of their ilk.

Elves, by contrast, were not naturally "gifted" death - the implication seems to be that while humans have a dual body/soul nature, elves do not. The destruction/death of an elf includes the destruction of a soul.

I suppose, depending upon your POV, the ability to terminate the existence of one's own soul might be seen as the ultimate gift - or the ultimate tragedy. To never have to ruminate upon all the sorrows you have seen? That could be good. To never be able to reflect upon all the joy you have seen? Bad.

Humans, I suppose, have the potential there to see their friends and family after death... Theoden, for example, references meeting his "forefathers" and how he will not be ashamed to stand among them. Gandalf tells Pippin that "death is not the end." That thought - that we continue to exist after death and thus have eternity to spend with those we love - is perhaps a pleasant and comforting one for humans.

Elves, by contrast, have no such comfort - through the ages, all their non-elvish friends will die, and the elves will NOT get to see them again. They must spend an eternity cut off from those they love. Even amongst the elves left on Middle Earth, there is some sadness - Elrond, for example, has seen the death of his brother Elros and has been separated for centuries, if not millenia, from his wife (who had to pass to the West after being poisoned; if she stayed in Middle Earth, she would die). The sadness of such long - or in some cases final - separation, had to weigh heavily on the elven psyche, and probably explains why they kept to themselves... if all of your friends are elves, you at least get a chance to see your friends in the Undying Lands some day... if they are humans, once they are gone, you have no such chance.

I am of a split mind, then, as to whether an elf allowing his soul to be destroyed by choosing to fight for Middle Earth rather than leave is "more" or "less" tragic than a human death. On the one hand, such a death robs the elf of the ability to be with friends... and robs the friends of the elf with the ability to be with him. On the other hand, such a death relieves the elf of all the memories of sadness and sorrow he has seen, as well as the burden of not being with those who have also died... because in non-existence, you need not be burdened with such things as you do not exist to contemplate them.

At the end of the day, I think my decision is that it's no more or less tragic for an elf to die than a human... just different. Some elves might welcome that final, ultimate respite that their death brings - a respite even humans cannot enjoy in death, as humans continue to live on and think and feel. There is something to be said for that, I suppose.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
ALL ELFS MUST DIE!!!!

and human life is more valuable than elf because it is so short - the time it takes one elf to teach his/her children wisdom takes a hundred human generations and yet elfs are no greater than humans which means that humans are greater than elfs:D

Mr. Kaze

First Post
tonym said:
I was watching the LoTR DVD--the part where all the orcs are attacking Helm’s Deep--and I noticed something odd. When an elf died, I felt sadder than when a human died.

Does anybody else feel this way when watching that movie?

The elves' potentially long lives made their deaths more tragic, I think.

Long lives, nothing -- Tolkien's elves and wizards were naturally immortal. Death for them was not only scary, but wholly unnatural. (I've heard that there's more to it than that, but that's what I can recall from just reading the trilogy and listening to the Extended Edition commentary.)

As far as D&D goes, with the 3.0 racial lifespans -- elves are only ~350 years or so? -- I think the only creatures that might deserve any better than any others are dragons lasting well over a millenium -- but that calls into question who morns the poor lich who gets cut down in its prime... So no, we don't go there above and beyond having rarified dragons.

HiH,
Kaze

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads